Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Maybe if you look at it this way:

You can use all capital losses to offset any capital gains PLUS $3000 against other income if your losses exceed your gains.

So if you have $10000 in gains and $15000 in losses, you can offset 100% of your $10000 in gains Plus $3000 of other income and only have to carry over $2000 to the following year.

This is a law that is so confusing to many people. I hope this helps.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.