Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Maybe I'll just file my return tomorrow without including this sale of stock, and write to the IRS and ask them to send me a bill for the capital gains on a sale of 200 shares that netted $7309.

Not including the T sale would be a huge error and cause problems with the IRS. As others have suggested you could file with cost basis of $0/$50 for now. Research all the AT&T spin-offs, price splits, etc and file an amended return once you have the correct data.

Yes, someone turned AT&T basis tracking into a business.
You could get this resource to help (for a cost)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.