No. of Recommendations: 0
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but the first thing I would do is consult an attorney about what effect, if any, the dissolution of the PC would have on my 401(k).

Depending on that advice, I'd consider whether the "new" employer will offer a 401(k), and whether I would be happy with the investment options it will offer compared to the ones I had in the old 401(k).

If I decided to do a rollover to an IRA, and if I was happy with the old 401(k) investments, I'd try to replicate them in the IRA.

I personally like Vanguard for low fees and a wide selection of index funds. But there are other places that might be about as good. I understand Schwab has lowered the expenses on some of it's index funds.

But again, my first move would be to get the legal advice.

-drip (retired and aware that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.