UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Re: Lesson learned Date: 6/27/2012 8:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Maybe I'm just spoiled because the pup totally never wants anything that costs money, silly creature that he is, but I don't see anything wrong with a $100 doll. If people can afford it, and the kid appreciates it and is going to play with it, why not?

Maybe also because my kid destroys shoes with extreme prejudice, but what I cannot see is buying expensive shoes for a kid. Then again, if I bought him expensive shoes and that meant he *wouldn't* destroy them, I would totally be down with that. It's just disheartening how quickly he can render seemingly solid objects into a fine mist that used to be shoe leather and sole.

I think everyone has their line, and where they draw it, but I don't think expensive stuff is being particularly aimed at kids. The commercials on the Disney channel seem to be for fairly inexpensive things (well, how *does* one put a price on a pillow that lights up?). Again, that might just be where I live, and my kid being completely not interested in stuff.

I do think oversexualized stuff is aimed at girls, particularly clothes. If I never see a 12 year old girl with "Juicy" written on her bottom again, I would be perfectly happy about it. Again, that might be where I live, and the girls that go to my kid's school. :-)

Maybe the area you're in, there's more competition between kids to get expensive toys? I guess I don't see getting a doll that they may or may not know cost $100 leading to asking for, I don't know, a ride-on car that costs $200, and so on. And the parents can always say no to the ride-on car. Everyone sets limits, or ought to. It's really hard to tell from the outside if it's stressing their finances or not.

Also also, in the area of I used to be the super-spendy spouse, but didn't know it because I spent it $5 at a time, I think it's easy to spend too much on toys for a kid because you are always at Target and always get your kid something, and even if you make sure you never spend more than $5 on a toy, if you're at Target 4 times a week, that's $80 a month on toys. That's 10 American Girl dolls a year, and trust me, I know lots of people with the Target habit. I had a serious Lego habit when the pup was smaller. Maybe people wouldn't have called me on it, but it had to go. It was teh pricey.

Now the pup plays video games, so it might seem I'm spending more on him, but I know I'm spending less. But to someone who doesn't know the interior of the situation, it could look like I'm being really spendy on the kid.

It's really easy to judge people without knowing the facts. I'm sorry the American Girl dolls make you see red. I hope you're not feeling personal pressure to provide stuff that you think is overpriced, or that you can't afford. That's really hard, when that happens.

--Booa
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement