Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alan81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19347  
Subject: Re: INTC: Value stock? Date: 11/19/2012 2:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Maybe not even an Android. What differentiates these phones is not the hardware but the software, the OS, the human interface. When Intel sold PC motherboards it counted on Microsoft to provide the software.

The Orange Intel phone is Android:...

A little bit rambly, and perhaps trying to talk yourself into or out of something. All the Intel phones are android today. It is not clear if microsoft will do a windows 8 phone on Intel or not. The current windows 8 phones are getting really good reviews, and run on ARM.
Given Android currently out ships iOS 2 to 1 it seems having Android on Intel phones right now isn't a bad thing. I didn't really mean to start an Apple holy war, but the iPhone 5 is the most readily available build costs. I suspect the Samsung galaxy S3 would be a similar cost ($200) and sells for about $700 so about the same model as with the iPhone.

Despite all the technological wonders of Intel's Fabulous Fabs, which I don't ever deny, it's still the software that really counts.
I would argue everything counts. The hardware makes a difference on weight, battery life, and responsiveness. Those are not software things, and they are things that matter to customers.

The cpu and GPU performance in phones has grown steadily over the past five years. Are we suddenly declaring it doesn't need to grow any more?

I'll end with a bunch of questions that will hopefully be answered over the next 6 to 12 months.
(1) What is going to happen with tablets? The surface RT (using ARM) is getting panned. Windows 8 looks very strong. Intel is late with their clovertrail chip for tablets. How will the Intel Haswell chip which should ship next March or April do in the tablet market? will iPad and iPad mini remain dominant in this market?

(2) will microsoft port windows phone 8 to X86?

(3) how will the LTE phone chip Intel ships in early 2013 perform relative to the competition.

(4) When does Intel finally move phones to a more leading edge 22nm technology? I expect October 2013.

(5) what part will the new ultrabook / tablet convertibles play. I personally really like both the Lenovo Yoga, and the dell XPS 12.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-12-l221x/pd

--Alan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement