UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734724  
Subject: Maybe the French are Good for Something... Date: 1/3/2005 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=516&e=1&u=/ap/20050103/ap_on_re_as/tsunami_saved_by_the_french

---------------
PONDICHERRY, India - Religious devotees believe a divine force saved this port city from last week's tsunami, but the vendors who sell fruit and snacks next to the sea say it really was France.

During the city's nearly three centuries as a French colonial enclave, French engineers built and maintained a massive, stone sea wall that kept Pondicherry's historic center dry even though tsunami waves drove water 24 feet above the normal high-tide mark.

----------------

I never thought of the French as having anything to do with India.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 209499 of 734724
Subject: Re: Maybe the French are Good for Something... Date: 1/3/2005 8:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I never thought of the French as having anything to do with India.

During the 'mercantile period': England/France/Belgium/Holland/Spain/Portugal/... vied for territories all over the world.

At one point, the Pope divided the world between Spain and Portugal (which is why they speak Portugese in Brasil).

BTW Portugal also had colonial enclaves in India (and China).

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 209554 of 734724
Subject: Re: Maybe the French are Good for Something... Date: 1/4/2005 12:48 AM

I believe that the Japanese "aregato" comes from the Portuguese "obrigado," both meaning "thank you."

--fleg

Author: jh4986 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 209680 of 734724
Subject: Re: Maybe the French are Good for Something... Date: 1/4/2005 4:00 PM

The last British colony, HongKong, was given back to China in 1997.
The last Portugese colony, MaCao, was given back to China in 1999.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 209682 of 734724
Subject: Re: Maybe the French are Good for Something... Date: 1/4/2005 4:12 PM
The last British colony, HongKong, was given back to China in 1997.
The last Portugese colony, MaCao, was given back to China in 1999.

Goa, Portugal's colony in India, was given back in 1961. It was originally conquered by Alfonso de Albuquerque in 1510. Funny, I lived in Albuquerque for two years and don't remember any streets or buildings named after Alfonso, just a discount store.

--fleg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement