No. of Recommendations: 0
maybe the laws vary by state, but i was under the impression that if you dont agree to the new terms your CC co. wants to strangle you with, you could decline them and pay off the balance under your old terms. you wouldn't be able to make any new charges to the card but hopefully most of us here dont plan on doing much of that anyway : )

Any change in the terms require the other side (i.e. you, the consumer) to accept them as well. Most card companies send out a well-hidden notice informing you of the new terms along with a legal agreement stating that you have agreed to the new terms if you use the card. To prevent the rate from changing, you need to send a letter to them refusing the new terms, then never use the card again. That way, your debt will stay under the old terms. This is not something that varies state-to-state (at least to my best knowledge).

Print the post  


UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.