Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My employer is paying for the MBA program in which I am currently enrolled. They are paying this through payroll and as I understand it I will be liable for the taxes on all reimbursements above $5250 per year.

According to the information on the IRS web site, graduate level education reimbursement may be considered tax exempt if "it maintains or improves the skills required to perform the employee's current job."

Does this mean that if they send me a letter stating this I can write off all reimbursements?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.