UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yodaorange Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 459027  
Subject: Re: Answering the question . . . Date: 11/18/2012 10:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
MC says: It takes independent thinking, confidence, emotional detachment, and the discipline to adhere to very basic principles.

MC, let's assume there are 50 million potential US investors that have enough assets to worry about.

Out of the 50 million, how many do you think have ALL of those qualities?

1) Independent thinking
2) Confidence
3) Emotional detachment
4) Discipline

If you think 51% or 25.5 million folks have ALL of those characteristics, then you are right.

My guess is that maybe 5% of them have all four, leaving 95% that are missing one or more elements. In which case, I would be right.

Clearly, the 100 METARites fit into the second category, so we only have to find an additional 2,499,900 other investors!

It is an academic argument in either case. Investors that want to follow a Graham and Dodd approach have many options available to them. Let's just hope they don't stumble onto the next Bill Miller that underperforms over a 15 year period. In that case, the investors would have been better served with index funds.

Thanks,

Yodaorange
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement