Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
MDC, I thought you would like to know you beat me into submission...at least as regards to owning HSGFX.

Prepare yourself for phone calls every month the Fund goes down...

Naj

LOL :), I think that might have been a more difficult task then the first time I deadlifted 405.

FWIW, as I mentioned in my previous post, I am increasingly becoming a believer in a "market melt-up" scenario over the next 1-2 years. Louise Yamada, who I consider to be a very good technical analyst, thinks the Dow is going to 16,000. FWIW, she nailed the beginning of the gold, commodity, and oil bull markets, and has been dead accurate on the 10-year so I put credence in her viewpoint. I think it is very notable that Richard Russell has turned bullish as well. He nailed the 74 bottom.

In my view, Hussman (and Grantham and apparently Dalio as well) are absolutely correct in their valuation arguments, but having experienced the late 90s, I know that over a 1-2 year time period, valuations can have no relevance whatsoever. Eventually they will, but eventually could be 3+ years away.

Assuming this market melt-up scenario unfolds, Hussman will continue to underperform because he is still fully-hedged and I don't expect him to change that stance. Interestingly, he also looks at "market action" which is his term for the technical factors. He has pretty consistently been positive on market action, so I can't help but wonder if it would have made more sense to only be partially hedged.

I've been sitting on a pretty hefty cash position for awhile and going back and forth on what to do. I considered adding to Berkshire, but it is already a 30% position. I've considered adding to Hussman or adding to Fairholme. I started looking at a few individual names that I think would have good upside exposure to the market, and that is why EBAY is interesting. I just don't want to have too much allocated to something that could underperform by a big margin if the market is up a substantial amount over the next 12-24 months.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement