No. of Recommendations: 0
Me, I'm perfectly content with 10 .45's in the clip and 6 12 gauge shells in the pump.

Whoa whoa, what ever happened to the guy who said this:
it's not my call to make
...THE only right way.
To each his own.

So it's "don't tell me how to fish" but "10 is good for me, therefore it's good for you"? I don't mean this harshly, but that's kind of inconsistent, no?

What gets me about all this talk about large-capacity magazines ("large" being subjective of course, and subject to changes in definition depending on how lucky the ruling political party is feeling that year) is how it's not about prevention vs. non-prevention, but it's about degrees (in other words, how many people can one shooter kill, given that he's gonna kill somebody), and no one really seems to want to do the math. I've never done it myself, so let's try some back-of-the-napkin stuff here on a Thursday night.

The Newtown ME said something like each victim was hit 8-10 times, and he ended up killing 28 people, is that right? So he's saying that the shooter fired somewhere between 224 and 280 rounds (assuming he never missed), which means he used at least 10 magazines in the rifle, meaning he had to reload at least 9 times (assuming he used the very last round in the last of his 10 magazines to take the coward's way out and punch his own ticket). How long does it take to drop a mag and reload? 3 seconds maybe? 4 tops? Especially if all these troubled and angry young men are playing "murder simulators" all night and practicing and rehearsing for their premeditated big appearance. Right? So that's 27-36 seconds that he used to reload his rifle 9 times. If he only had 10-round mags he would have had to reload 28 times, so that's 84-112 seconds spent reloading (and I'd argue, being familiar with the reload/rack/recharge mechanism on his rifle and on a semi-auto handgun, that the elapsed time on a handgun reload is less than that of a rifle, so it's probably closer to 84 seconds than 112). So instead of spending ~30 seconds reloading he could be made to spend ~90 seconds reloading if he was denied 30-round magazines. Given the typical elapsed time of these shootings, I would argue that the 60 seconds a "large-capacity" magazine ban would cost an active shooter in the midst of his evildoing would in all likelihood save zero lives on average. At the cost of reduced freedom for the 99.7% of gun owners who have broken no laws. But I'm certainly open to opposing viewpoints and arguments.

I mean, if we're concerned about facts and empirical evidence and logic and all that, shouldn't that kind of thing be what we're talking about, rather than just off-the-cuff emotional ranting about dictating to other people (who are just as law-abiding as those doing the dictating) what they "need"? I mean, nobody "needs" a motorcycle that can outrun cop cars, but we don't ban them, right? Why not? Because dammit, this is America and there's already a law against going too fast. So I, as a free human being with all the privileges and immunities, etc. etc., can *have* a motorcycle that *can* outrun cop cars, as long as I *don't* outrun cop cars, that's ok. So the question shouldn't be about what half the country thinks they can dictate what the other half *need* just based on the fact that they don't like that thing, there should be some reason and logic and math rolled in there somewhere.

I mean, right? Or is it crazy to want that kind of rationality in today's America, where the right to *feel* safe trumps empirical evidence (mentioned by RustyMath) about *being* safe?

JT
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement