UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: artlv Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42361  
Subject: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/health/newsid_1448000/1448848.stm

Interesting...

Art
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6612 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/health/newsid_1448000/1448848.stm

Somebody smack those parents with a 2x4 and have them sit down and watch the "ER" episode where the child has the measles and dies.

Kim

Author: Doris06 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6613 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 5:42 PM
Recommendations: 2
< Somebody smack those parents with a 2x4 >

Agreed! I know of a great place to get 'em real cheap!

What about the children who end up carrying the disease, but may not show signs of it at the time? Are they playing with our kids?

Hey, I wonder if these same parents are going to feel this way when their kids are sexually active?

"Here, Johnny, go "play" with that girl. She has ghonoria and maybe you can develope an immunity to it! Oh, and next week we're having a herpies party at Aunt Helens, so bring all your friends."

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6615 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 6:22 PM
Interesting...
-------

The first thought that comes to mind is what a bunch of wackjobs! Don't these parents know that they are dealing with potentially deadly diseases? Don't they realize that their infected children could in turn expose people with weakened immune systems to these diseases, thereby killing them?

Corey actually had a very light case of measles as a reaction to the MMR vaccine. He had a fever of 102 and a rash for about a week. He was so uncomfortable and miserable the whole time. This happened 3 weeks after the MMR. The worst part is that we were out of state that week. On Easter Sunday I took him to meet my old family doc in the ER and he couldn't diagnose as he'd never seen the measles and he didn't realize that he'd just been immunized. The day before we were scheduled to go home we went to visit my greatgrandmother who took one look at him and prclaimed that he had the measles. When I called the dr with this info he asked if/when he'd had the MMR. When I said 3 weeks that explained everything. I would hate to see a kid have to go through a fill blown case of this. It was awful.

The irony is that this kid didn't have so much as a cold before this!

Rebecca

Author: DisplacedTexan Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6616 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 8:05 PM
Rash and fever are actually quite common after measles (MMR) vaccination.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8242506&dopt=Abstract

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6618 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 9:05 PM
Rash and fever are actually quite common after measles (MMR) vaccination.
-----

I know. But this began 3 weeks after the MMR (which is when my dr said kids who are going to get a light case will get it) and he was sick for 8 days. Nothing I did brought the fever down for any legnth of time, he was lethargic, etc. This wasn't like the typical shot reactions he and Drew have had to other immunizations.

Rebecca

Author: DisplacedTexan Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6619 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/21/2001 11:41 PM
Recommendations: 1
Rebecca,
That was actually what I meant to point out, that the MMR is different than other vaccines. And the link was just to provide some statistics on the prevalence of symptoms after vaccination. I've found that post-vaccination symptoms are often glossed over in routine well child visits.
Chad

Author: garyyager One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6620 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/22/2001 9:43 AM
Didn't the measles party episode of Southpark teach us anything?

Author: laibach One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6624 of 42361
Subject: Re: Measles parties Date: 7/23/2001 8:25 AM
Recommendations: 5
From the BBC article:

"I think vaccines are bad for the immune system and it is better to let the body develop its own immunity. "

That's precisely what the vaccines do, they let the body develop it's own immunity, only with a weakened form of the disease and not a full strength one. This person obviously doesn't understand what they just said. Just wait until a kid gets seriously ill or dies. With some people that's what it takes. Even then, they'll probably blame it on electromagnetic fields, or something anyhow.

Laibach
Father of a fantastic, properly immunized, three-year-old

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement