Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81295  
Subject: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/4/2012 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77723 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/4/2012 7:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The right tool for the job. At the right price.®

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77724 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/4/2012 10:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
We have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and we got the meat grinder attachment. Much more versatile than a uni-tasker like that one. A bit more expensive, too. But I think it worth while given the extra utility of it.

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77725 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 1:12 AM
I have both the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and meat grinder and also the meat grinder shown by James. I love the one shown by James. Works much better. I have the Kitchen Aid 600 Stand Mixer and meat grinder in case you are interested.

Blue

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77726 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 2:58 AM
We have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and we got the meat grinder attachment. Much more versatile than a uni-tasker like that one. A bit more expensive, too. But I think it worth while given the extra utility of it.

I have that attachment for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, as well, 1pg. The plastic worm is prone to cracking/splitting, if you use it more than very occasionally - ain't no secret:

This grinder (a Chefs Choice grinder attachment for Kitchen Aid stand mixers) replaced a plastic KitchenAid grinder that cracked after minimal light use. The metal grinder is a much better choice. http://reviews.chefscatalog.com/8855/25196/chefschoice-chefs...

I have a Kitchen Aid 5 Series stand mixer and the meat grinder attachment, with 2 plastic worms - Both are cracked. The worm on your grinder will crack, if you use it very much - I assure you.

I also have the meat grinder James posted a link to. It works very well and is well worth its price, especially at the discount.

A Taiwanese friend uses a commercial grade meat grinder in her restaurant that works more aggressively - It's a commercial meat grinder, but she spent $300 just having the motor rebuilt.

The grinder James linked does a very respectable and reliable job for home use, or perhaps even light commercial use.

Many of the people on this board grind their own ground beef and pork, from a variety of cuts and fat content. They do so because they get a better end product than what they get from packaged ground products at a grocery store, plus it's possible to mix stuff in while grinding - for example mixing/grinding shrimp with pork for a Japanese Gyoza.

Use your Kitchen Aid grinder to grind your own meat, until it might fail - Then I would highly recommend that you consider this grinder, over replacing the Kitchen Aid attachment.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77727 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 3:11 AM
Plus, it takes a variety of (standard #10) cutting plates, for different size grinds - I have bought plates for it with holes ranging from 1/8" to 1/2".

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77728 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 6:42 AM
We have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and we got the meat grinder attachment. Much more versatile than a uni-tasker like that one.

I too have a Kitchen Aid with the “Mixer Attachment Pak” (grinder, rotor slicer/shredder & fruit/veg strainer) that I bought mainly for the meat grinder for making sausages to replace a Oster grinder that had parts lost in a move. The discharge of the Kitchen Aid’s grinder attachment is like 15 or 14 1/2-inches above the counter, which makes it a royal pain to use, especially for stuffing sausages. I have never used the other items in the “Attachment Pak“, me. I too bought the Northern Tool’s grinder and used it just yesterday to grind some pig & beast meat fur stuffed peppers fur last night's supper.
;-)

C.J.V. - thinks dat multi-propose tools don’t work as well as those designed fur the job at hand, no

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77729 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 10:56 AM
Plus, it takes a variety of (standard #10) cutting plates, for different size grinds - I have bought plates for it with holes ranging from 1/8" to 1/2".

The 3 plates that come with the grinder are very adequate, and they are carbon steel, so you can "sharpen" them with a sheet of wet-r-dry sandpaper over s block of wood, or a sheet of glass with water and (up to) a very fine grit of wet-r-dry paper, depending on how "particular" you might want to get.

Many of these 3rd party parts will fit and work very well with the grinder: http://www.texastastes.com/p111.htm

I like using a different size grind for chilli than for hamburger. Freshly ground beef will beat packaged, store-bought ground beef any day of the week, from any store. I want to get into making cold smoked sausages - C.J.V. and OleDoc have done that, for more than a while.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77730 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 11:14 AM
The worm on your grinder will crack, if you use it very much - I assure you.

Hmmm...so far so good. But we don't use it every week or every month. I'd say it's been used maybe 30 times. But I will keep an eye out for problems, given your warning.

If it did crack, and Kitchen Aid didn't do anything about it, I might consider a separate grinder. Though storage space is at a premium, so I'd rather not if I had the choice. (1poorlady has a full set of Kitchen Craft, the normal drawer of utensils and implements, flatware (of course), steel bowls, strainers, coffee grinder (burr grinder), coffee maker, blender, two hand-blenders, food processor, fancy slicer/shredder that came with Kitchen Craft, mandolin...you get the idea...)

1poorguy

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77731 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 11:41 AM
you get the idea...)

Yep - She needs a WSM. <BG>

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77732 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 12:17 PM
Yep - She needs a WSM. <BG>

THAT would go outside!!

Though after seeing some of the homemade offset smokers, you have me wanting to find one of those (I have no welder, and don't know how to weld even if I could get one).

1poorguy

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77733 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 5:21 PM
I do understand the appeal of the KA grinder attachment when kitchen space is at a premium. However, as a member of the "both" club (have KA grinder attachment and Northern Industrial #12 grinder), I'll say that I'm definitely glad that I shelled out the dough for the #12. It's really easy to use, FAST, and it cleans up pretty quickly, too. I haven't used the KA grinder since I bought the other.
The KA rocks as a dough mixer, though.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77734 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 9:46 PM
Recommendations: 0
Though after seeing some of the homemade offset smokers, you have me wanting to find one of those (I have no welder, and don't know how to weld even if I could get one).

I had dinner last night at a friend's family's home - It's kind of become a pretty regular Thursday night tradition. Ju Gong cooks, I try to bring something - A 12-pack of beer for the guys, some ice cream, candy apples, cake, cheese cake, strawberries, etc. 2 retired military vets usually show up, Oscar and Col. Bob - Actually, 3, or sometimes 4, people with the nickname of "Bob" show up, so it helps to nickname the nickname - I'm commonly referred to as either "Insurance Bob" (my day job) or "Chainsaw Bob", a more recent and moderate venture. I've insured Ju's (Joe) and his wife, Estela's restaurants and the cars for maybe the past 8 or 7 years - Both are very good cooks and very personable people...

Anyway, I got to talking, after a few beers, about making a reverse flow offset smoker with a warmer cylinder over the fire box. Oscar offered a defunct hot water heater that he has for the main cooking chamber. Col. Bob advised against using it as hot water tanks are generally made of galvanized steel, and could cause some food contamination issues. I asked what he thought about using a propane tank, and he said that he thought that should work pretty well. I asked what he thought the risk of explosion in cutting the tank. He said he didn't think it would be a risk, if the tank were emptied - I want to check that comment further.

Col. Bob said that I could probably use Scott AFB's hobby shop to weld the stuff up - That would save me a bundle, IF the gate guards will let me through the gate with what *might* appear a threat to National Security, in the form of a couple of (empty) propane tank cylinders. ~ ~

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77735 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 9:59 PM
http://www.trueyellow.com/US/East+Saint+Louis/Illinois/Lefto...

I gotta check if this place is still open - If they are, I can get all of the steel that I need at scrap price.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77736 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/5/2012 10:21 PM
I'm starting look for a couple (maybe 3, if I use a tank for a firebox) of tanks - My first 2 requirements are that they must, first of all, be suitable for food, and also be cheap to buy, and take delivery.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30616&...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77737 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 2:46 AM
I think I want this one...

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang36/lang36_hybrid_deluxe.html

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77738 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 6:36 AM
I'm starting look for a couple (maybe 3, if I use a tank for a firebox) of tanks - My first 2 requirements are that they must, first of all, be suitable for food, and also be cheap to buy, and take delivery.

Bob, have you checked with the propane dealers, the big boys like Americas & Lacox not dem guys that fill the 5-gallon tanks, fur used tanks.
From http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinders.htm#cylinderrecer...
Cylinder Certification and Recertification

Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that. For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete. Think of cylinder recertification as an inspection similar to that of your car. A vehicle has to be inspected annually so that it may continue to operate safely on the road. Similarly, a propane cylinder must be inspected so that it may continue to operate safely in LP Gas service.

Day may have some old tanks dat day be willin to sell cheep, them.
;-)

C.J.V. - just a thought, yes

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77739 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 10:33 AM
Thanks, CJ. This place looks promising, but it's a very long drive from here: http://www.blttanks.com/salvage-tanks

I hope to find some in the St Louis area that will work.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77740 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 2:23 PM

I think I want this one...

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang36/lang36_hybrid_deluxe.html

Sweet. For $1700, it's a good thing they have left-handed models available. Even though I am not left handed...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rvFfNUQOjpM/TQxFoFH8ETI/AAAAAAAAAX...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77741 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 3:47 PM
Yeah, it's going to be interesting convincing 1poorlady we need a $1700 smoker/grill.

I'm not optimistic.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77742 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 6:31 PM
You have to do it right. Start by saying you found one for $3400 and that you really, really like it.

Then, Tuesday, say you found one you might could settle for for only $2800.... It's not as good as the $3400 one, but you're willing to sacrifice...

Keep going for a few more days, always finding a slightly cheaper, yet slightly more inferior, smoker...

In the end, a $1700 smoker will sound cheap and like you're really willing to take one for the team.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77743 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 9:51 PM
Could you, in your experience, help me in this endeavor? Find more expensive units on different websites, and work my way "down" to this one? She's a sharp lady, I can't just show her the bigger one on this site...she'll pick up on that!

I shoulda taken welding in high school (I think they offered it).

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77744 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 10:11 PM
Hey Mike, is how the wife unit got the $400. purse?

Blue (has never done things like this)

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77745 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/6/2012 10:13 PM
I hate it when I type faster than I type and leave out a word.

Should have read: is that how the wife unit got the $400. purse?

Blue (making mistakes for a dang long time LOL)

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77746 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 6:52 AM
Hey Mike, is how the wife unit got the $400. purse?

No, sadly, Blue, she started at $50 and went up.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77748 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 10:05 AM
Could you, in your experience, help me in this endeavor? Find more expensive units on different websites, and work my way "down" to this one?

Dare bes dis nice stainless steel one fur $3,900 (See; http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Texas-Barbecues-500-Upright... ).

And dare bes dis one fur round $2900 (See; http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Texas-Barbecues-500-Upright... ). It ain’t all stainless steel so parts of it’ll rust but . . .
;-)

C.J.V. - might hafta settle fur a WSM first and move up later, you

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77749 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 10:48 AM
might hafta settle fur a WSM first and move up later, you

True dat, Sage CJV.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77751 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 2:30 PM
C.J.V. - might hafta settle fur a WSM first and move up later, you

I'm extremely happy with the WSM. I may upgrade to a Big Green Egg if I win the Powerball.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77752 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 3:05 PM
might hafta settle fur a WSM first and move up later, you

Yeah, I might. But even that will be easier after showing expensive units. 1poorlady is very frugal.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77753 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 5:54 PM
JGB keeps his shed unlocked and he has a WSM. For a nominal fee I can tell you where he lives.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77754 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 6:16 PM
Recommendations: 4
You failed to mention the "heavily armed" part, Mike. You'd be hard-pressed to find a jury in TN that wasn't sympathetic to BBQ-related property rights.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77755 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 7:12 PM
Tennessee?? It would cost more to get there and back than it would to buy a new WSM.

Besides, I'd never come between someone and their BBQ.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77756 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/7/2012 9:07 PM
WSMs *might* go on sale, pretty soon, 1pg - It's about that time of year. IF they do, I strongly suspect that someone will link it here, just as James linked the HF grinder when it went on sale. Both are great products.

Bob

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77800 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/10/2012 3:37 PM
1poorlady choked on both of those units. As expected. Her comment was something along the lines of "we're not opening a commercial business".

I'll make noises about trying to find a cheaper one for a while. Though I am wondering if it might not be cheaper to hire a good metal worker/welder, give him plans, and let him do it for me. Maybe save some $$$. I can paint the thing myself, I just need the unit all welded and ground.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77801 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 8:07 AM
At this point you should just cut your losses. Head down to your local groceria and pick up some of JGB's favorite BBQ in a tub, Lloyd's.

http://www.lloydsbbq.com/

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77802 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 9:39 AM
Personally, I think that one would be hard pressed to find a used WSM at much less than the cost of a new one. After using one, few will give it up, unless they die and the beneficiaries don't know what the inherited. I don't see a single used Weber smoker for sale on eBay, or elsewhere I've looked.

Bob

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77804 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 12:05 PM
Yuck.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77806 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 5:46 PM
Just arrived today.I'm going to start off the weekend with breakfast sausage patties for breakfast,Hamburgers for lunch and meatloaf for dinner

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77807 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 5:56 PM
Head down to your local groceria and pick up some of JGB's favorite BBQ in a tub, Lloyd's.

I'd rather have Sweded pulled pork. I'd rather have crock pot pulled pork.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77809 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 6:41 PM
I'd rather have Sweded pulled pork. I'd rather have crock pot pulled pork.

I'd be interested in reading your notes on how they all compare.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77811 of 81295
Subject: Re: Meat Grinder on sale Date: 10/11/2012 7:34 PM

I'd be interested in reading your notes on how they all compare.

Probably shouldn't hold your breath on that-- I've just had some actual BBQ pulled pork, and have more in the freezer.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement