Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35961  
Subject: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/26/2013 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone has checked this out yet the new "free to play' version of the old classic

I just had a play for 10 minutes and the game does look good and it appears to follow the same mechanics as the old MW games

However I have problems with the business model.

You have to buy credits to get upgrades like mechs, mech bays and I think items to put in the slots.

Here is the problem though its not transparent I couldn't find how much credits a particular items cost, it appears from the boards it may be $15 a mech... WOW...

Also at the moment you can only play 8v8 team conquest matches, but there were no guilds that I can see. So there is only one method of play where you are randomly dumped in a PUG with 8 others. Where are 1v1.2v2,4v4 matches in the Colusieum, or matches against AI opponents.

Also here is something that I really hate and yet nearly everyone does it, there is no training area, you get your mech and you are dumped into a battle straight away, there is no where to go where you can just drive around and target things and test things out. All there is are training videos. It astounds me that this is the case, yet you see it all the time.

I don't like this business model, IMHO they should have went the WOW route where you pay upfront for the game, get a period of time as part of the purchase and then pay a monthly subscription. In this way you get access to the full game straight away, which does not mean more things become cannot become available as you level up.

And there is the next problem you get a 80 ton mech as part of the trial, so a noobie can pilot the heavist mechs out there, that is something that they could have put in the leveling process.

The game play actually looks OK, but with this business model I cannot see the game succeeding, I am not going to spend a dollar if I only get one mode of play and I don't know how much things cost. Apparently decorative XMAS lights were going for $7!!!

WOW succeeds because it was firstly a good game, and then you paid each month, pretty simple. This could have been the same.

Anyway would be interested in what you fools think.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement