Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35804  
Subject: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/26/2013 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone has checked this out yet the new "free to play' version of the old classic

I just had a play for 10 minutes and the game does look good and it appears to follow the same mechanics as the old MW games

However I have problems with the business model.

You have to buy credits to get upgrades like mechs, mech bays and I think items to put in the slots.

Here is the problem though its not transparent I couldn't find how much credits a particular items cost, it appears from the boards it may be $15 a mech... WOW...

Also at the moment you can only play 8v8 team conquest matches, but there were no guilds that I can see. So there is only one method of play where you are randomly dumped in a PUG with 8 others. Where are 1v1.2v2,4v4 matches in the Colusieum, or matches against AI opponents.

Also here is something that I really hate and yet nearly everyone does it, there is no training area, you get your mech and you are dumped into a battle straight away, there is no where to go where you can just drive around and target things and test things out. All there is are training videos. It astounds me that this is the case, yet you see it all the time.

I don't like this business model, IMHO they should have went the WOW route where you pay upfront for the game, get a period of time as part of the purchase and then pay a monthly subscription. In this way you get access to the full game straight away, which does not mean more things become cannot become available as you level up.

And there is the next problem you get a 80 ton mech as part of the trial, so a noobie can pilot the heavist mechs out there, that is something that they could have put in the leveling process.

The game play actually looks OK, but with this business model I cannot see the game succeeding, I am not going to spend a dollar if I only get one mode of play and I don't know how much things cost. Apparently decorative XMAS lights were going for $7!!!

WOW succeeds because it was firstly a good game, and then you paid each month, pretty simple. This could have been the same.

Anyway would be interested in what you fools think.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35058 of 35804
Subject: Re: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/26/2013 11:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
Here is the problem though its not transparent I couldn't find how much credits a particular items cost, it appears from the boards it may be $15 a mech... WOW...

This is what almost all non-WoW and non-Guild Wars MMOs are doing. I played Star Trek Online for a few months earlier this year and things cost a LOT. New ships were $15-25, special uniforms could be $10, etc.

Even more devious, some ships you can only get as random drops from chests, and to open chests you have to pay real money for keys. So people may not really be able to keep track of how much they're spending trying to get some fancy ship when they're going for it a dollar at a time.

I guess the model is to hook people, and the real fans will pay $15+ for one ship/mech/item. Others will only pay small amounts, but may impulse buy a few bucks here and there til it adds up to quite a lot.

I play ST:O for about 150 hours and I think I spent about $10 upgrading the size of my inventory and bank. But I'm fairly disciplined about things like that...

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35060 of 35804
Subject: Re: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/28/2013 4:15 PM
I was excited to see this coming, and downloaded the installer last weekend but never got a chance to try it out.

Also at the moment you can only play 8v8 team conquest matches, but there were no guilds that I can see. So there is only one method of play where you are randomly dumped in a PUG with 8 others. Where are 1v1.2v2,4v4 matches in the Colusieum, or matches against AI opponents.

Also here is something that I really hate and yet nearly everyone does it, there is no training area, you get your mech and you are dumped into a battle straight away, there is no where to go where you can just drive around and target things and test things out.

Ugh - now I'm kinda glad I didn't use up any time/energy to start looking at it - that sounds like zero fun to me at all as a starting point. I'm an experimenter, I need to be able to take stuff for a test drive so I can know what'll happen when I do X, Y, or Z.

JT,
maybe I'll get around to giving it a whirl, dunno

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35061 of 35804
Subject: Re: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/28/2013 8:37 PM
I tried it out when it first went into Beta. It's still sitting on my desktop collecting virtual dust. The graphics are nice, the game play is decent, after you figure out how to group your weapons things get easier. But getting mechs and pilot upgrades is just plain weird.

The maps aren't destructible, which in this day and age is inexcusable. Hell the trees can be walked through and survive. That's what ruined it for me - the trees.

At least it's a damn sight better than the deplorable MechWarrior Tactics.

Simon

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35062 of 35804
Subject: Re: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/28/2013 11:38 PM
At least it's a damn sight better than the deplorable MechWarrior Tactics.

Aren't they quite different? I saw the stuff about MWT but not in time to get in the beta - struck me as more MechCommander (top-down strategy controlling a lance) meets CCG than MechWarrior (sim). What made it so deplorable?

JT

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35063 of 35804
Subject: Re: Mech Warrior Online Date: 1/29/2013 12:03 AM
What made it so deplorable?

Everything.

Go play MechCommander again - much more enjoyable.

Unfortunately some of these F2P games are that way for a reason.

Simon

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35167 of 35804
Subject: Re: Mech Warrior Online Date: 3/7/2013 3:30 PM
Previously, on MechWarrior Online:
Also here is something that I really hate and yet nearly everyone does it, there is no training area, you get your mech and you are dumped into a battle straight away, there is no where to go where you can just drive around and target things and test things out.

Ugh - now I'm kinda glad I didn't use up any time/energy to start looking at it - that sounds like zero fun to me at all as a starting point. I'm an experimenter, I need to be able to take stuff for a test drive so I can know what'll happen when I do X, Y, or Z.

Next, on MechWarrior Online:
There's a testing grounds/get-a-feel-for-the-old-girl mode now, so maybe I'll actually put it through its paces for myself after all.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/06/mechwarrior-onlin...

JT

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement