UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: susana901 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75379  
Subject: Mechanics of Investing in IRAs Date: 5/24/2001 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been reading and learning about investing now for a year, and I think I have a good handle on the basic philosophy of investing for retirement, goals & such (though I'm only 24, and I do still have a lot to learn). Mostly at this point, I am stumped by some of the mechanics of investing.

I've set up a regular brokerage account as well as a Roth IRA at etrade. In my Roth IRA, I put in my $2,000 for Y2K contribution, and so far this year, I've put in about $385. I have already bought some mutual fund shares with the initial $2,000, so I essentially have the $385 to do something with. I also have $1600 that I am thinking about putting into this IRA for this year, but I'm confused about how I can use the IRA. I have a specific index fund that I want to buy, but it's not offered through etrade. Does this mean I have to open another IRA somewhere else, maybe directly through the mutual fund company? My concern is that I don't want to have to keep track of a million different accounts....but if I do open a new IRA, can i take the uninvested $385 that I have at etrade and put it into this new account?

Also, I foolishly (not Foolishly) opened an Ameritrade account and bought a few shares of Cisco...I have about $400 in there now, and in the interest of consolidating my finances, I'd like to close that account and put the shares into my etrade account...is that possible, or do I have to sell the shares and take the loss?

I guess I'm a little confused about what I own and control and what the brokers control...Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement