Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Medical Deduction for Caregiver??

I am considering hiring a full time [24/7/365] caregiver for myself [who is a close friend of mine] because I am permanently disabled and homebound. If I provide room and board for the caregiver and pay her a monthly salary of say $1000, will I be able to deduct these costs [the portion of which that exceeds 7.5% of my AGI] as an itemized medical deduction?

Under these circumstances will I also be required to:

a) Withhold both Federal and State income taxes from her paycheck?
b) Withhold FICA taxes from her paycheck?
c) Pay the employer portion of the FICA taxes?
d) Pay Unemployment Insurance taxes or any other related employer taxes?
e) Comply with Minimum Wage Laws?

Although I do not feel as if I am an employer under these particular circumstances, now that I require full-time assistance in my daily living needs, I am not sure whether the IRS will view it the same way?

Any help and advice in this matter would be most greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.