Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Medical expenses - tax benefit Date: 3/6/2011 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good Morning All:

I recently had some dental work done, fairly small amount $300 total.

I did not know I would need this work done last fall when I set up my 2011 FSA amounts. My FSA has already been budgeted towards other expected medical expenses, so I can't get reimbursed for the dental work. I have no HSA.

Other than deducting these expenses on Sch A (subject to the 7.5% floor), I don't believe there is any other method to get a tax benefit. Am I correct, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

William
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112602 of 121061
Subject: Re: Medical expenses - tax benefit Date: 3/6/2011 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Other than deducting these expenses on Sch A (subject to the 7.5% floor), I don't believe there is any other method to get a tax benefit. Am I correct, or is there something I am missing?

You're not missing anything, including, I infer from the low amount of the bill, any teeth.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
and poster child for the "Only Floss the Ones You Want To Keep" campaign

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112603 of 121061
Subject: Re: Medical expenses - tax benefit Date: 3/6/2011 9:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
You're not missing anything, including, I infer from the low amount of the bill, any teeth.

Thanks Phil - I had six cavities. I'm 27, and these are the first cavities I've every had, and I got six all at once. Kind of a wake up call to make sure I brush every night (I watch TV in bed, and often fell asleep before I could brush, but not anymore).

Will

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112604 of 121061
Subject: Re: Medical expenses - tax benefit Date: 3/6/2011 10:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
I had six cavities. I'm 27, and these are the first cavities I've every had

My story exactly, except I had only one cavity. My problem was that since I had no dental problems I neglected regular professional cleaning and never even learned to floss until my first (of many) gum surgeries. Terrific teeth, lousy gums, and the latter tend to send the former to an early grave. Floss! Floss! Floss!

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
whose dentist is on speed dial

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement