Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19026  
Subject: Medicare: $480 bill, choosing new plan Date: 11/5/2012 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
New on this board. I am 47 y.o., but have been on disability for almost three years now. Honestly I have never fully understood many aspects of Medicare beyond the monthly premium for my Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield Freedom II (PPO) plan.

I am not very good with paperwork and I have not had anyone (professional office, or other) assist me since I was approved for SSDI nearly three years ago.

I have actually been planning to find new providers. My main health/disability issue is psychiatric and I need psychiatric visits, mental health visits, and prescription medication covered at least in part. I was also about to go for a dental visit and I have put off for over a year some dental work (abutment and crown) that should be completed. Unrelated to those two issues, I now have a sinus infection which is worsening and it may need to be assessed and diagnosed (I've had sinus problems for almost 20 years).

Two months ago I received a letter that my current plan choice is going to be discontinued and unless I choose one by the deadline, I will be switched to original Medicare. I have meant to ask questions about this for several weeks, but haven't gotten back to doing so, until now. On Saturday, I received an unexpected bill from "Empire HealthChoice Assurance, Inc." for $480.00. Under the description and billing period information: "Direct Payment - Regular Billing" Direct Payment - Individual." Billing Period: 01/01/12 - 01/01/13. Excerpt from the reverse under Important Notices:
"Payment of this invoice is due in advance, upon receipt. The coverage will automatically terminate if we do not receive the premium by the end of a thirty (30) day grace period following the date the premium is delinquent."

When I saw this, I thought it was one of those bizarre, strange scams targeting Medicare recipients. (Early this year, I received some telephone calls and suspicious mail which I had since reported directly to Medicare and Empire at that time.) This does seem somewhat legitimate, but I don't understand it. First, the stated billing period would actually be retroactive (it starts in January 1, 2012) so the excerpted notice is confusing.

I have NO idea why I'm getting a $480.00 bill. I pay the monthly premium of $99.90 which is automatically deducted out of my monthly SSDI payment. If this is a legitimate bill, I don't have the money to pay in full this month. I rely on SSDI as my sole source of income. I can pay it over two months if I exclude other expenses (including food).

My first full year on Medicare was 2011 and it was uneventful and I thought I understood it. This new charge this year has completely baffled me.

Anyone with the patience to explain to me, I appreciate it. I don't understand any of this.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement