Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: math999man Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Medicare for mother. Big Picture needed. Date: 12/5/2012 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need some overview - big picture of the medicare system. My mother is 83 and has been for several years paying for an Independent Health insurance coverage - it was plan called Advantage PPO. Now, they informed her that monthly coverage was going from $100 to $160 month. So, she went to one of these free information meetings put on by the insurance company and a representative told her that she did not need to pay any monthly premium. So she signed up for a policy that has $0 dollars monthly premiums. Hospital stays have a $700 deductible (max 3 ?). This does not sound logical. Some other items that I am confused on are listed below -

I need a big picture - all the internet stuff talks details that is getting me all wrapped around the axial.

Here are some of the items I am confused on:

1. I understand that Medicare has parts A, B, C, D. Everyone is in part A and part B costs about $100 / month that is automatically deducted from the SS given to her. How does she know that she is covered by Medicare B ? Where does it show that the Gov takes the $100/month for Medicare B ? She worked a little in her life, but is under my fathers SS coverage.

2. Medigap coverage - I see the Gov has "plans" for Medigap coverage that are called Plan A, Plan B, etc... How come Independent Health calls the insurance she has been getting "Advantage PPO" ? What about Plan A, Plan B, etc... What is this, the Insurance companies do not call the policy they offer the same name as the Gov. plans ? OR has my mother NOT been getting Medigap but some other policy coverage ?

3. As I stated in the beginning - my mother was paying $100 / month that is going to $160 month in 2013. Now the insurance company has signed her up for $0 / month starting in 2013. I have never seen any company give something for FREE. Never ! McDonalds wants $0.10 for extra ketchup packets, Dunkin Donuts does not even give napkins when U buy a doughnut ! Why is the insurance company providing "coverage" for $0 / month ? What is the gimmick here ?

4. Can she change back to the other coverage plan next open enrollment period in 2013 for 2014 ? Or is she locked into this $0 / month plan ?

Thanks for any advice !

math999man
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement