Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Medicare Oops!.....almost Date: 10/28/2013 7:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
My friend retired in May at the age of 67 1/2. With a seperation package that included a full year's pay and full company health insurance for 12 months she wasn't concerned about getting signed up for social security or medicare. She has been enrolled in Medicare Part A since age 65 but her company insurance was better than Part B or Part D so she never signed up for them. She plans to wait until age 70 to claim her SS, which will be about $30K/yr.

Recently she was advised to claim 1/2 of her ex's SS until now and switch to her own account at 70. She'll get a little over $14K/yr from his SS now. When she went to apply last week she got a surprise regarding Medicare. The SS rep told her even if she has company insurance for a full year she has to apply for Part B within 8 months of retiring or face a penalty and higher Part B premiums for the rest of her life.

This surprised both of us as we thought she could not be penalized so long as her company insurance exceeded what she could get through Medicare. She'll get on Part B before the 8 month deadline but had she not talked to SS now she would have missed it by several months.

I don't understand this ruling but I point it out as a caution to others who may be in the same situation.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement