UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BankerNoMore Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2247  
Subject: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the UK Date: 6/25/2001 2:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
this week on London's AIM:
http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3YFGWF8OC&live=true&tagid=IXLHT5GTICC&Collid=IXLLYWNEKCC

GW Pharmaceuticals, the first company to produce cannabis for use in
medicines, will be valued at £175m ($245m) - at the top end of its price
range - when it lists in London next week...

Thought others might find this an interesting story.

Dave
Print the post Back To Top
Author: m2652v Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1824 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/3/2001 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I don't know what others think, but I think cannabis should be prescribed when indicated, and thus available.
My gosh, look at the power of what is often prescribed, like opiods.
This is far more addictive than cannabis and also potentially more lethal. We don't seem to have a problem with drs. prescribing it and in fact probably most of us have received great benefit from using it at some time in our lives.
If you have cancer and are wasting away, or have great nausea because of treatment, or if you have one of the fairly rare diseases that involve extreme loss of balance -- these are just a few that cannabis can help.

I think it is insane to try to prevent medical use of cannabis. So, in my mind this is a socially responsible company, or potentially it is, if they pass other screens.

Marion

Author: dallen99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1825 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/4/2001 8:46 AM
Recommendations: 0
For years the dope smokers have been saying 'it's just marijuana, it's not addictive, it causes no harm and has no side effects'. Now it can do what the most powerful drugs ever developed can not do? Give me a break. Keep the ban, the extremely few that would benefit are not worth legitimizing the drug used most often as the initiator to illicit drug use. IMHO.

Author: BankerNoMore Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1826 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/4/2001 12:50 PM
Recommendations: 9
the drug used most often as the initiator to illicit drug use

I think that award instead goes to alcohol.

Author: LadyGay Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1827 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/4/2001 5:00 PM
Recommendations: 4
the drug used most often as the initiator to illicit drug use

I think that award instead goes to alcohol.

Or, I would add tobacco....

Author: Carpian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1828 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/4/2001 10:46 PM
Recommendations: 6
For years the dope smokers have been saying 'it's just marijuana, it's not addictive, it causes no harm and has no side effects'. Now it can do what the most powerful drugs ever developed can not do? Give me a break. Keep the ban, the extremely few that would benefit are not worth legitimizing the drug used most often as the initiator to illicit drug use. IMHO.

And if you some day turn into one of those "extremely few", will you continue to hold the same view and say "Yes, it's better that I should suffer more than to potentially keep some teens from smoking pot" (which they are likely to do anyway, legal or not). I don't think the law is much of a deterrent to people smoking pot. Those who are going to do it, do it, illegal or no.

I don't think there's so much to be feared from marijuana as many people think. It doesn't seem to bring out violence in people like, say, alcohol, and isn't used in large enough quantities to bring about much harm from second-hand smoke (or even first-hand smoke), and doesn't reduce people to a shambles like many of the more potent drugs.

So to legalize marijuana to for medicinal usage to ease the suffering for some afflicted people? I'm all for it. Is there some potential for abuse there? Certainly, as there is with valium, codeine, alcohol and countless other "legitimate" substances.

Since we're talking about SRI here, I would have no trouble with a company simply because they make medicine from marijuana. I would need to know more. I do steer clear of pharmaceutical companies at the moment because I believe (based on conversations with nurses) that they are more concerned with making money (getting people to take their drugs) than actually helping people. Anyone seen the ad for the hair-growing drug that hints that a guy's wife might leave him and find someone else because he's losing his hair? Is this promoting healthy, sane living?

Author: dallen99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1830 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/5/2001 9:48 AM
Notice the term 'ILIICIT', which definition is "Not sanctioned by custom or law; unlawful." Tobacco and especially Alcohol are deeply ingrained in our society. The age of the user moot, almost everyone here drinks and 1 of 3 uses tobacco.

And if you some day turn into one of those "extremely few", will you continue to hold the same view and say "Yes, it's better that I
should suffer more than to potentially keep some teens from smoking pot" (which they are likely to do anyway, legal or not). I
don't think the law is much of a deterrent to people smoking pot. Those who are going to do it, do it, illegal or no.

I would NEVER use cannabis, legal or not. I don't even use asprin.

I don't think...that sums it up right there...there's so much to be feared from marijuana as many people think. It doesn't seem to bring out violence in people
like, say, alcohol, and isn't used in large enough quantities to bring about much harm from second-hand smoke (or even first-hand
smoke), and doesn't reduce people to a shambles like many of the more potent drugs.

Also alchol does not make a person violent. Alcohol effects a person judgement ability and lowers inihibitions, marijuana does the same thing but to a lesser degree.

So to legalize marijuana to for medicinal usage to ease the suffering for some afflicted people? I'm all for it. Is there some potential
for abuse there? Certainly, as there is with valium, codeine, alcohol and countless other "legitimate" substances.

IMHO and often ingorant opinion:
There is a big difference between 'legitimate' and 'legal', I would not own stock in any company, conglomerate or other, whose products include
consumable alcohol or tobacco. The products in question are perfectly legal, however, to me not legitimate. Most people can not manufacture any of the products listed above, anyone can grow marijuana.

Since we're talking about SRI here, I would have no trouble with a company simply because they make medicine from marijuana.
I would need to know more. I do steer clear of pharmaceutical companies at the moment because I believe (based on conversations with nurses) that they are more concerned with making money (getting people to take their drugs) than actually
helping people. Anyone seen the ad for the hair-growing drug that hints that a guy's wife might leave him and find someone else
because he's losing his hair? Is this promoting healthy, sane living?

I would never invest in a company that did not think about profits...all the time. If you wish to disperse your money for good causes there are many charities that would do more to help people than SRI.

Author: waxurt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1831 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/5/2001 10:01 AM
Recommendations: 14
. Keep the ban, the extremely few that would benefit are not worth legitimizing the drug used most often as the initiator to illicit drug use. IMHO.

This is the most tired arguement. I remember agreeing with this arguement when I was in junior high, but I grew up. What evidence is there that marijuana use leads to any other drug use? The most common arguement is that 95% of all heroin users used marijuana first (or some such nonsense). If you cannot come up with a better arguement than this then you better ban water because 100% of heroin users used water before they used heroin. It shows that water leads to use of hard drugs because all hard drug users used water first.

You don't have to be in favor of legalization of marijuana, but give me some reasons based on marijuana and not this tired arguement of 'gateway drug'.

Author: Carpian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1832 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/5/2001 8:51 PM
Recommendations: 4
Notice the term 'ILIICIT', which definition is "Not sanctioned by custom or law; unlawful."

So you allow your values to be set by custom, or even worse--lawmakers? Good Lord, I hope not! I don't think you really do, because later in your post you refer to some products that you would not invest in even though they are legal.

I would NEVER use cannabis, legal or not. I don't even use asprin.

I would wager that a lot of thought has gone into your choice, and I applaud that! However, why impose your choice on others? There are scads of drugs out there that are legal to be prescribed by doctors but illegal to obtain/manufacture otherwise--morphine, to name one of the more addictive/potentially destructive. The potential benefits of those substances have been acknowledged. Why not marijuana?

<<I don't think>>...that sums it up right there.

That's funny, most people who actually know me would say I think too much. :)

Also alchol does not make a person violent. Alcohol effects a person judgement ability and lowers inihibitions, marijuana does the same thing but to a lesser degree.

Don't have data to back it up--not that scientific studies are so infallible--but my own experience (yes, I inhaled) and that of others I have talked with is that the "buzz" from marijuana is generally has a mellowing effect. When's the last time anyone read in a newspaper of a violent crime committed by a person under the influence of marijuana? I don't recall any, and I do pay some attention to that. But you read about them all the time under the influence of alcohol and other drugs. A stoned person doesn't scare me. A drunk person might.

I would never invest in a company that did not think about profits...all the time. If you wish to disperse your money for good causes there are many charities that would do more to help people than SRI.

These topics have been discussed several times on this board. I'll let them go for now.

Author: unire Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1833 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/6/2001 10:23 AM
Recommendations: 9
First I should say that I tried marijuana in my High School years and I hated it. It was just too boring.

But I have several friends who have smoked and some still do smoke pot. Although I agree that the person that smokes too much of it may become a pretty bad friend due to uninteresting conversation and lack of energy, I think most of these friends actually benefit from it. They usually have pretty stressful lives and marijuana helps them to relax and it does it much more effectively than alcohol, cigars or cigaretes.

Certainly there are other ways to relax yourself and I prefer them myself, nonetheless I am very convinced that marijuana will benefit a very large number of patients going through painful diseases and treatments. There are certainly many many more than extremely few people in this situation.

Also, I should say add that all but one of my friends who smoke pot did not try any other illicit drug. One could say that 95% of heroin users have tried marijuana once in their lives, but 95% or more of dope smokers have never tried heroin.

The drinking habits of some of my friends worry me a lot more. Most of my friends who have smoked pot have quit it when they decided to do it. The others that drink regularly cannot start their dinners before finishing a bottle of beer.

If the US has learned anything during the Prohibition is that demand drives the market and bans will do very little to reduce consumption. We need alternatives to marijuana, not to ban it. By banning it we also promote an illegal market, which promotes crime and violent behavior. This, in my view, is a much greater social problem than marijuana would be if it were legalized. The ban is creating social costs, not reducing them.

Life for most teenagers has become uninteresting and reduced to several hours of TV, out-of-reality movies, and endless time in boring classes. Marijuana is a way out of this boredom. Give them a more fulfilling life and they will forget about pot.

The same occurs with adults that smoke pot, but instead of boring classes they attend boring and stressful jobs.

Also, we have to consider that some may actually enjoy smoking marijuana. For me it makes no sense that we allow people to get wasted in thousands of bars accross the country and forbid people from relaxing by smoking pot.

I am sorry for writing so much. I just could not help it. This prejudice against marijuana is so shortsighted and comes mostly from people who have no experience with it. You often see ex-alcohol-addicts talking about their "dark years", but I have never seen an ex-pot-smoker talking about their smoking years the same way.

Please open your minds. Go talk to the kids smoking pot on the corner right next to your house.

Author: freydis Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1834 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/6/2001 10:31 PM
Recommendations: 6
Everyone has heard about the billions of taxpayer money that have been wasted in the War Against Drugs. How about we legalize marijuana and then use the money that is saved by not busting people for pot possession to target the REALLY harmful drugs?

Then we can also legally grow hemp in this country--that could be a very socially responsible and sustainable industry, but the DEA (with the support of the cotton and forest products lobbies) has vigorously fought against it . . . but that's a topic for another board.

Freydis

Author: bigforkmama Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1836 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/11/2001 11:09 AM
This chat room is supposed to be about investing in socially responsible companies. Those of you who want to argue the ins and outs of legalizing pot should go someplace else to do it. This company is an unknown and has no good track record yet either as a profitable company or a socially responsible company. This is business. Let's talk about the company and investing, not other issues.

Author: Fredledingue One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837 of 2247
Subject: Re: Medicinal Cannabis company floating in the U Date: 7/12/2001 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Have you smoked at least one time in your life cannabis?

Of course it's addictive, it causes arm, destroy the brain and is dangerous during pregnancy but LESS than alcohol.

The point is not wheter you make a drug out of it but why are strong alcoholic beverage which can be far more destructive than canabis on free sale if weeds are not?

Forbid tabaco then!

But I think the use in medicine may open the views.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement