UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31086  
Subject: Melon Quetiion Date: 7/30/2012 1:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We planted some melons this year for the first time. Not sure what kind (Wife's project.) They look more or less like cantaloupe, but greener. IIRC, the picture showed a more reddish flesh than cantaloupe.

Question is, how to know when they're ripe? In the grocery store, I press the blossom end. If it feels soft, the melon is ripe. Same for a melon still on the vine?

Count Upp
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30285 of 31086
Subject: Re: Melon Quetiion Date: 7/30/2012 3:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
how to know when they're ripe?

Thump them.

AC *it's the sound that tells you*

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30286 of 31086
Subject: Re: Melon Quetiion Date: 7/30/2012 3:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thumping is an art.

Here's a link about melons.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cornucop/2002071935010165...

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30287 of 31086
Subject: Re: Melon Quetiion Date: 7/30/2012 5:56 PM
Just takes practice. A not hard slap/pat/thump should do it. The more hollow it sounds, the better. Also if it has just a bit of bounce back feel to the hand...

Author: GeeBeeNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30288 of 31086
Subject: Re: Melon Quetiion Date: 7/31/2012 8:32 PM
The cantaloupe vine will start to separate from the fruit when it is ripe the way a scab separates from a wound. So if your variety has a webbed skin it will practically pick itself.

GeeB

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30289 of 31086
Subject: Re: Melon Quetiion Date: 7/31/2012 10:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
The cantaloupe vine will start to separate from the fruit when it is ripe the way a scab separates from a wound. So if your variety has a webbed skin it will practically pick itself.

GeeB

Thanks! That sounds cool. I picked one today, put it on the kitchen counter. It doesn't sound or feel ripe.

Count Upp

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30315 of 31086
Subject: Re: Melon Quetiion Date: 8/20/2012 1:10 PM

GeeB

Thanks! That sounds cool. I picked one today, put it on the kitchen counter. It doesn't sound or feel ripe.

Count Upp

I finally have ripe melons! Thanks, GeeB, for your info. We have eaten a couple of them. More are ripe. and ready to eat

Count Upp

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement