No. of Recommendations: 0
We planted some melons this year for the first time. Not sure what kind (Wife's project.) They look more or less like cantaloupe, but greener. IIRC, the picture showed a more reddish flesh than cantaloupe.

Question is, how to know when they're ripe? In the grocery store, I press the blossom end. If it feels soft, the melon is ripe. Same for a melon still on the vine?

Count Upp
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
how to know when they're ripe?

Thump them.

AC *it's the sound that tells you*
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thumping is an art.

Here's a link about melons.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cornucop/2002071935010165...
Just takes practice. A not hard slap/pat/thump should do it. The more hollow it sounds, the better. Also if it has just a bit of bounce back feel to the hand...
The cantaloupe vine will start to separate from the fruit when it is ripe the way a scab separates from a wound. So if your variety has a webbed skin it will practically pick itself.

GeeB
No. of Recommendations: 0
The cantaloupe vine will start to separate from the fruit when it is ripe the way a scab separates from a wound. So if your variety has a webbed skin it will practically pick itself.

GeeB

Thanks! That sounds cool. I picked one today, put it on the kitchen counter. It doesn't sound or feel ripe.

Count Upp

GeeB

Thanks! That sounds cool. I picked one today, put it on the kitchen counter. It doesn't sound or feel ripe.

Count Upp

I finally have ripe melons! Thanks, GeeB, for your info. We have eaten a couple of them. More are ripe. and ready to eat

Count Upp
Advertisement