Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193183  
Subject: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/18/2003 1:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 63
It was a hot, sultry Kansas August evening, way back in the 70's. The church was air conditioned to that refrigerated level that folks in hot climates seem to expect. (Go inside and wear a sweater.)

We were going to elope, but my mom (the proverbial minister's daughter, very anti-church) said, "Your grandfather will be crushed if you don't get married in a church." Ok, we'll have a very small church wedding.

DH's mom, said, "We have a family friend who is a photographer." My mom said "My coworker's daughter bakes wedding cakes." DH's mom wistfully said, "you WILL have flowers, won't you?" The moms got together and reminisced about being wartime brides and not having real "weddings." My mom mentioned every day for weeks how she got married in a gray dress....

So, there I was, in the church on August 18th, in my traditional white wedding dress.

The organist played "sunrise, sunset" just before the wedding march. The evening sun streamed through the stained glass windows onto the candle-lit church as I walked down the aisle on the arm of my grandfather, thinking this is more than I ever wanted, but it is a lovely moment, especially for our mothers.

But when the minister got to the part about "does anybody object" there was a brilliant flash of lightning, illuminating the whole church through the stained glass windows, followed by an extremely loud crack of thunder. In the stunned silence that followed, my paternal grandmother quavered "oh, nooooooo." Then the giggles started from those assembled, and before long there was a lot of laughing from the guests, punctuated by loud cracks of thunder and flashes of lightning, through the remainder of the ceremony.

During the wedding reception the storm continued, the rain came down in barrels and buckets, and the guests laughed and told jokes about rain being good luck, and a fertility symbol, wink, wink.

We got soaked running to the car; and the rice that got thrown on us stuck to our wet clothes. As for the wonderful, memorable honeymoon, backpacking into Rocky Mountain National Park, well, it poured every day (except the night it snowed) but we didn't care one bit.

I'm so glad to have that beautiful memory. My grandparents are gone, my DH's parents are gone, and DH has been gone for over nine years, but I can still vividly remember the beauty of that church lit into brilliance by lightning behind stained glass windows, and the joy of that shared laughter.

RDW
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96806 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/18/2003 2:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thank you for opening a page in the book of your life. How lucky we are to have the gift of memory and good things to put in it.

Joan, remembering snow on her December day

Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96808 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/18/2003 3:02 PM
Thanks for sharing that RDW. I hope it put as least as big of a smile on your face as it did for me.

bigpix

Author: SDMcR Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96811 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/18/2003 3:18 PM
(((RDW)))

Thank you so much for sharing. It is a lovely memory.

We also had rain on our wedding day. And then went camping/fishing for our honeymoon.

Susan

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96816 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/18/2003 6:03 PM
I'm so glad to have that beautiful memory. My grandparents are gone, my DH's parents are gone, and DH has been gone for over nine years, but I can still vividly remember the beauty of that church lit into brilliance by lightning behind stained glass windows, and the joy of that shared laughter.

In honor of your reminiscence, it's a crisp 104 as I type. Thuderstorm watch in effect.

When we drove to Newton Decoration Day we were remarking about how lush everything was. Spring had been very wet, and all the flora were showing their appreciation.

I don't think it's rained since. Driving down Saturday we wer remarking about how parched and miserable everything looked. Except the beans. The beans are doing fantastic! They must have gotten just the right amount of rain right when they needed it.

Phil

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96817 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/18/2003 7:23 PM
Thunderstorm watch in effect.

I do miss that once in awhile...sirens going off, wind screaming, heading for the basement. Gets the old heart pumping, doesn't it.

Not to mention that heavy, sultry, ominous feeling in the air before a storm, followed by the cool breeze, clean air, and peace that follows a storm. Something about the ion charges?

No thunderstorms here. Well, maybe two or three in the over 20 years I've been here. It's so rare that locals run out into the streets to point out the lightning to their kids. (Yikes)

RDW

Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96821 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/19/2003 1:32 AM
Recommendations: 2
What a wonderful memory of a very special day. Thank you for sharing it. It made me smile and then I cried. You wrote a beautiful picture of a lovely summer day that you spent surrounded by many people who loved you and, in particular, one very lucky guy who obviously lit up your life and electrified you.!!!

Arleen

Author: ricebowlsoupe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96822 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/19/2003 7:36 AM
Happy Anniversary...I'm sure it was beautiful and joyful just as your writing of it is.

RBS

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96825 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/19/2003 9:01 AM
Thanks for sharing the moment, RDW.

~cold

Author: Starrcrossed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96827 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/19/2003 12:12 PM
Happy memories for your Anniversary.

{{{{{RDW}}}}}

Starr

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96846 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/20/2003 5:03 AM
Recommendations: 4
I am constantly amazed at the number of talented writers we have here. I count you among them.

red

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96849 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/20/2003 9:31 AM
What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Donna

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96850 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/20/2003 1:16 PM
Recommendations: 7
Wow, thanks for the response. I feared I was being too self-indulgent in posting that story. (Me, me, me, me....) I'm glad that some enjoyed it.

The story I should tell is about the so-romantic honeymoon, backpacking in Colorado, up to 11,000 feet - where the bride (ahem) got altitude sickness and was sick to her stomach for a day or so, and where the inexperienced backpacking couple "saved" weight by only taking one sleeping bag. It was August, after all. Sadly, at 11,000 feet it can get very cold at night. As we were a skinny pair at the time, we could "spoon" together and zip us both into the sleeping bag. Then, of course, we couldn't move. "Time to turn over." "OK." Unzip bag, both turn over, zip bag up again. Wake up in the morning with our tent covered with snow. Brrr.

RDW

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96851 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/20/2003 1:51 PM
As we were a skinny pair at the time, we could "spoon" together and zip us both into the sleeping bag.

Well, I was thinking that this could be a very "romantic" situation. Until you posted this, that is: Then, of course, we couldn't move.

So much for "romance".

Thanks again for sharing. LOL.

Christina

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96852 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/20/2003 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
As we were a skinny pair at the time, we could "spoon" together and zip us both into the sleeping bag.

I remember sharing a sleeping bag on occasion. But that was in the summer when zipping it (the bag, that is!) wasn't necessary.

Bob

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96854 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/20/2003 4:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
zipping it (the bag, that is!)

Visions of Erica Jong's "Fear of Flying" are floating through my mind.

<snicker>

~~ Alison

Author: shfrank Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96884 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/21/2003 3:20 PM
RDW,

Didja see they linked your post to the announcements! Great post!

Susan :^)

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96890 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/21/2003 4:53 PM
Recommendations: 3
Didja see they linked your post to the announcements!

Wow, Susan, I hadn't noticed.

I'm amazed, and a little embarrassed. Thought I was "talking" to my Booomer buds; now I'm talking to a bigger crowd. Yikes. Blush. Stammer.

RDW
*slinking into the shadows

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96893 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/21/2003 5:50 PM
Wow, Susan, I hadn't noticed.

Well, maybe you haven't gotten the e-mail yet which says that since they picked your post as a Hot Topic, you get an additional free month of TMF membership.

And don't be embarassed. It was a lovely memory and wonderful of you to share it with "us".

Christina

Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96902 of 193183
Subject: Re: Memory of A Rainy Day Wedding Date: 8/22/2003 9:05 AM
Maybe she'll get another free month for the sleeping bag story. Worth at least a month to me.

bigpix

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement