No. of Recommendations: 0
Meowiz: I am no expert, but have always understood that one need "earned"
income in order to contribute to an IRA (Roth or otherwise); I believe that a
retirment annuity is not considered earned income and therefore does not
support an IRA contribution.

Thanks JAFO31,

This is what I thought. Now another question came to mind. I've read that if one spouse is not working, the other one may contribute to an IRA for them, for a total of max. 4K between the two IRA's. Can I contribute toward my husband's IRA for max of 4K between our two IRA's for one year, even though he is receiving self-employment income and is not technically unemployed. Like you said earlier, money is fungible, whatever that means?! a fungus? ;-)....anyway, since it's 'our' money, can my income be used toward his 2K max? thanks. meowiz
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.