Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Leppert Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Re: inability to retire Date: 4/7/2000 1:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
mepiper, you are absolutely correct. After almost two yrs of marriage my husband and I got back from a vacation and realized both our ck accts were flat! We wrote down every penny we spent for a year and made some major changes. It is a very sobering experience, as you find out how much you really fritter away on stuff that doesn't even matter to you. When I worked as an insurance agent, I used this same approach with prospective clients and had them keep a log from the apt. setting phone call till the time we were scheduled to meet-usually a two to three week peroid. I saw many clients through grinding debt into their own homes etc. My husband and I are facilitators for a marriage preparation program at our church and I have put my experiences and training(CLU & one course from ChFc)into a single page 'Steps to Financial Freedom'.

Although we had to go to one income after my disabling fall over 11yrs. ago, we have survived. Yes, our net worth did take a big nose dive and we will have to postpone retirement for about four years later than originally planned, but we are financially secure and we WILL be able to retire. Our check-book shock from almost 25 yrs ago gave us the imputus we needed to take control of our financial lives. Life is a matter of choices. One must learn to choose wisely and make choices depending on one's values. What's important to you.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement