Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Cantman99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 130  
Subject: Merger details/dangers Date: 11/23/1999 12:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Egroup has applied for an S-4 filing dated 11/22/99 on the proposed merger to close at yearend, however the filing clearly states some troubling details. Namely that the Office of Thrift Supervision hasn't approved the merger and with a set date to close by yearend 1999 they would need OTS to move faster than it ever has in the past(which they admit is unlikely). Two thirds of TBFC stockholders must approve the merger. Also if the merger isn't completed, TBFC will pay Egroup $54 Million. Finally the merger may not qualify for a pooling of interest accounting method which would be disaterous. Last year, TBFC was at $150 and then started dropping. I bought in at $100 and even after a 2 for 1 split and the merger announcement the stack continued to plummet to the low 20's, I eventually sold for a tax loss in the low 30's, with a basis of 50. I believe that others may do the same to offset gains in other holdings. I will look to purchase on a steep decline after the 30 day waiting period. I hope I'm right. Any thoughts?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement