UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: kenmegsmith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 158835  
Subject: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Date: 12/15/2012 5:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Hi All,

It’s been a strange old year for me, for some reason I seemed to have lost my mojo. Perhaps those close to me departing this world had an effect. Then all of a sudden it came back with a vengeance. I now seem to figure out things in milliseconds whereas I before I couldn’t. Its great operating back at warp speed. I have even come across folks that move as fast as me, if not faster. Instead of retiring from business I have started new business adventures.

At last I will make a start on completing the building work to my small trading floor. Something I have been working on for too many years. Should be up and running by June/July 2013. One consolation is that technology is a lot cheaper than it was in 2000.

As to trading, my intra-day trading focus is options on SPY, plenty of liquidity in options and the underlying. Not as easy to manipulate by funds.

American trading software and direct access trading is still the finest in the world.

There are a few funds out there employing the best Oxford/Cambridge PhD rocket scientists they can get to create their own computer generated trading system. They can make a lot of money and are difficult to spot in the market. I wouldn’t say I was competing against them. It’s more a sort of keeping out of their way which isn’t easy. Now and again I get caught on the wrong side of them and have to stop out as fast as I can. I think of these trading systems as artificially intelligent robots. Being neither kind nor unkind to human traders.

Old fear and greed still exists now as it did in Jesse Livermore’s time. Plenty of greedy people in this world to make the volatility I want.

There are still rouge traders out there creating havoc with institutions funds. I think of Nick Leeson as number one rouge trader. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if he had been short instead of long. I tried to buy Nick Leesons Trading Jacket but £21k was a bit much and Paul Taylor beat me to it. Perhaps the Gulf state of Qatar has slightly more funds than I to buy such things.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Ken Smith
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement