UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61168  
Subject: Merry, Happy, Joyous Holidays! Date: 12/22/2012 10:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Whatever you're celebrating--or not, I hope it's a good one! We not only survived the Mayan Apocalypse, but starting in the morning, the sun rises earlier and sets later every day--yippee!

My daughter, SIL and grandson and my son and his GF are coming for the week, and my mother and brother, who are local, will join us often. DD wants my traditional ham dinner, so we're doing that on the 25th. DS misses my traditional Thanksgiving dinner as he's been with his GF's family the last few years, so I'm doing that on the 27th. WE'll have split pea soup from the leftover ham. And my tradition of soup on Christmas eve--this time, tortilla soup, light yet filling and soothing after flying down from up north. I'm also making minestre tomorrow so I'll have leftovers on hand for my grandson. He;s in his picky 2's but eats my Italian sausage, white bean and cabbage stew pretty reliably.

My eye is healing, my husband is happily retired, the kids are well and happy, my daughter is pregnant, and I'll be hugging my lil Sweet Pea all week, so I have a lot to be happy about right now. The kids want to decorate the tree themselves, as they have done since high school, so I get to sit back with some mulled cider or egg nog and enjoy their happiness. We'll do some cheesy Christmas stuff, like the Holiday Festival of Lights in one of the county parks, and hopefully have good weather for walks and playgrounds. Maybe see The Hobbit together or Les Mis. Hopefully nice weather to walk by the tidal creeks, on the beach, and in town, maybe even get out the kayak.

Have a wonderful week, everyone! Linda, are you celebrating in Panama?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47028 of 61168
Subject: Re: Merry, Happy, Joyous Holidays! Date: 12/22/2012 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
Linda, are you celebrating in Panama?

Not exactly. I am celebrating with my youngest daughter, Erin, here in Athens on Christmas eve and a little on Christmas morning. At noon on Christmas day I head to Atlanta for a 6pm flight to Panama arriving around 10pm, so too late to celebrate much with Heather. I'm taking a limo and have to transfer from the domestic airport to the international airport in Atlanta . They just opened the new Atlanta International terminal in May. Amazingly enough I have already been there twice.

Heather and I have so much planned down there I'll just have to keep you informed here about my adventures and if I can, post pictures on Flickr.

I'm so happy everything is going to well for you and your family, alstro.

To everyone on the boards -- Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, or happy 'whatever' holiday you celebrate and Happy New Year!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47030 of 61168
Subject: Re: Merry, Happy, Joyous Holidays! Date: 12/22/2012 11:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
Your trip sounds amazing and beautiful--can't wait to hear about your adventures. Best wishes to you & Heather for the most awesome vacation of your lives. I can see the palm fronds and hibiscus waving in the tropical breezes already...

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47033 of 61168
Subject: Re: Merry, Happy, Joyous Holidays! Date: 12/23/2012 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
I'm so happy everything is going to well for you and your family, alstro.

That is going SO well - but you knew that I am sure. It is amazing how the mind will see the word we intended instead of the word we typed. That happens to me too much.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47042 of 61168
Subject: Re: Merry, Happy, Joyous Holidays! Date: 12/23/2012 9:09 PM
Recommendations: 2
We had two young "men" (12 and 7) visit us yesterday, while their Mom worked at the Mizzou/Illinois "Bragging Rights" game. ("Mom"'s my birth daughter and works at U of I.)

It was a tough game to watch. MDH is a Mizzou alum, as is my younger son. I'm an Illinois grad. The Illini are no longer unbeaten<sigh>.

It was so cool to hear her two boys giggle and strategize while playing Risk and trying their hand at pool w/ my "boys" (21 & 26). It filled the house with life.

I made pizza for all w/ the youngest helping to knead the pizza dough. (His older brother read back issues of Consumers' Reports while this was going on.) Everybody got to top their pizza w/ the younger three going for cheese only.

Mom picked them up around 8:30 pm. We sent her off w/ three poinsettias my younger boy grew in his Plant Propagation class. She'll take them down to her adoptive father's place for their family to enjoy.

MDH spent this afternoon making mushroom soup from Lynn Rosseto Kasper's recipe, to use in a variation on the green bean casserole promoted by Campbell. He was muttering about the time it took. I "tactfully" reminded him that the Campbell's recipe took about 30 minutes of prep vs. 3 hours of prep/cooking mushroom soup from scratch. (I helped him mince the onion and shallots.)

Tomorrow we roast the ham (and slice it), blanch the green beans and assemble the green bean casserole, stop by Panera for fresh bread and set the table. If I have time on Monday, I'll make a mincemeat pie. At 9 pm we'll head down to Eliot Chapel (Unitarian) for a Christmas Eve candlelight service. (They have a wonderful choir!)

My brother and his family will be here at noon on Christmas Day. If we plan this right, we'll have everything cooked and/or warmed in the warming drawer (that we usually forget how to use in between holidays). Dessert is cherry and pumpkin pie w/ mincemeat pie for MDH. After that, my niece's husband and my two "boys" play a pool game or two. The rest of us may observe or we may play Scrabble, depending upon how energetic we are.

Winter Solstice/Christmas is just a great way to enjoy family.

PM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement