UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MajorMajor78 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75871  
Subject: Re: Loaded Funds, IRA Date: 2/20/2011 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Merryl should be able to offer you plently of other options, ask for a FULL list of availible options. They should have at least an S&P 500 index fund or something similar availible due to a regulatory requirment for diversified offerings for retirment accounts. If you have to put the money somewhere put it in there or a target retirement fund. Not sexy fund types but solid. I went to Merill Lynch's web site but they don't post their funds online. You need to contact an advisor for any info.

I can't confirm whatever custodial fee's Merryl charges you. Often this will be plan specific for 401K's. If they do charge you 1% extra just to hold an account then you really need to go. Many firms have termination/tranfer fees but they are usually fixed amounts. Annoying but pay them once and never deal with them again.

They could probably (or not) sell you Vanguard funds for a large commision. It takes large bulk purchases to make these fees economically feasible.

I like Vanguard but they are not the only ones out there. If Myrell does not charge a custodial fee then you could probably find some funds there that are fine. here's a link that lists what fund family's they are able to do business with.

http://www.totalmerrill.com/TotalMerrill/pages/ArticleViewer...

You stated that you are rolling over your 401K. Is this into a new employer sponsored plan or are you rolling it into a traditional IRA? If it's a traditional IRA you should be fine if it's a "trustee to trustee" rollover. Meaning you never touch the money yourself. Since you never touch it, it is not considered a distribution by the IRS. If it's employer sponsored then you are probably stuck and need to get that full list and pick reasonalby inexpensive funds w/o loads.

If the rollover was an indirect rollover where the responsibility of the check fell into your hands then you have 60 days to get all of the money into an IRA to avoid penalties. Always do a truste to truste rollover to help avoid any confusion.

Most brokerage companys have "rollover experts" that you can use to double check your options and make sure you do not get dinged with taxes or whatnot. Contact Vanguard, Fidelity or anybody else you think you might like to go with and they should be able to guide you around any taxation pitfalls. Taxes are the only thing I want advice on from a brokerage house.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement