The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA contribution or IRA contrib? Date:  12/13/1999  11:20 PM
Author:  DowDanny Number:  23055 of 127846

kartha1 asks:
1. I will hit the AGI upper limit for joint filing and thus not qualify for the Roth IRA contribution. Can I still contribute to a non-deductible IRA? <

Yes. You can always choose to contribute up to $2000 to a non-deductible IRA.

2. Assuming only one is an earning member, is the total contribution for self and spouse towards an IRA (Roth/traditional) $4000 or $2000? <

The "earning spouse" can contribute up to $2000 to his/her own account and an additional (but separate) $2000 to the account of the "unearning spouse".

3. Can someone who incurs income from private tutoring contribute to a Roth/traditional IRA? Since there is no W2 involved, what proof is necessary in order to qualify for contribution <

Um... how about the 1040, Schedule C ?
If you're reporting $2000 of earned income, then there's your proof.

- Danny

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us