The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Options while waiting for 401k eligibility Date:  10/18/2005  6:44 AM
Author:  abFatPitch Number:  47973 of 90104

In the absence of a 401K plan, most would suggest 1) max your Roth IRA if you qualify, or 2) invest in a taxable account in the Long Term Buy and Hold (LTBH) mode. This way you focus on investments you can hold long term while incurring minimal taxes. You pay taxes only when you sell and then at capital gains rates.

Thanks for your response. I was trying to find a pre-tax or tax-deductible answer to my problem and spent a bunch of time on the IRS site with publication 590 (IRA's). Due to income, it looks like my only option is a spousal IRA contribution. I will also look into single-participant 401k's and possibly try to have my "employee" status changed to independent contractor status so I can do my own, self-employed retirement plan.



Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us