UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pekinrobin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756655  
Subject: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 2:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
I thought there used to be a rule against personal attacks on the Motley Fool but it has been a while since I read the TOS.

I really felt the moderators have not been doing a very good job recently of removing posts that call other posters out by name. Shouldn't all such posts be removed in a timely manner? However, after some thought, I realize that I and other participants are just as much to blame if we don't hit that ALERT button as necessary!

As I suspect the hostilities will only increase in the heat of election politics, might I respectfully ask that all posters report any posts that call out other posters by name specifically to insult them or to vote on whether they "deserve" to be on the board or any other such high school style antics. I've always tried to "alert" posts that pick on a nationality, a religion, or a race, but now I feel I should "walk the walk" and also "alert" those posts that pick on individuals by name.

Early retirement is one thing, but judging from the maturity level of some posts I've encountered recently, the average age of our early retirees is around age 3.

Why can't we get our points across by insulting others and calling them out by name? Is it really all that difficult to be courteous???
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170161 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 3:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I really felt the moderators have not been doing a very good job recently of removing posts that call other posters out by name.

This has pretty much always been the case, but after two rounds of lay-offs at TMF, they have even fewer resources to comb through all of the boards. It would take one full time person to watch over, read, and decide on each post on LBYM and another full time person to do the same with PA. They obviously don't have the resources to do what you want them to do.

My impression is that they pretty much don't pull a post unless someone reports it. I also think they probably pull all posts that are reported, so if you see a post that you want to have pulled, you should report it.

- tmeri

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170173 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 3:50 PM
Recommendations: 9
Is it really all that difficult to be courteous???

Is it really all that difficult to avoid censorship and grow a thicker skin? You level personal attacks against candidates and bureaucrats and you expect to be handled with kid gloves. Isn't that a double standard?

1HF

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170174 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 3:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
My impression is that they pretty much don't pull a post unless someone reports it. I also think they probably pull all posts that are reported, so if you see a post that you want to have pulled, you should report it.

That's true; TMF relies on board participants to do their dirty work. But it depends on the board, too. At the Buying and Selling a Home board, you can't even say "sh*t happens" or someone reports it. Discussion boards are funny sometimes. I agree that personal attacks shouldn't be allowed, however. The personal attacks against hocus were beyond the pale, in my opinion.

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170177 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
You level personal attacks against candidates and bureaucrats and you expect to be handled with kid gloves. Isn't that a double standard?

The candidates and bureaucrats are part of our little community here? Where are they?

Oh, please. It's not the same thing at all.

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170179 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 3:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
The candidates and bureaucrats are part of our little community here? Where are they?

Say hello to George.
http://boards.fool.com/Profile.asp?uid=20098622

IF

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170182 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 4:06 PM
Recommendations: 0

Oh, please. It's not the same thing at all.

It's not? Oh, the fact that they aren't here to defend themselves makes all the difference. I see. <g>

1HF

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170193 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 4:57 PM
It's not? Oh, the fact that they aren't here to defend themselves makes all the difference. I see.

Now you're just being silly. If we had to stifle ourselves with respect to politicians, celebrities and others in the public domain, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. But to rag on EACH OTHER is rude and, in many cases, cruel.

And you know the difference.

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170198 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/24/2004 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 6
Now you're just being silly.

I've been called worse. <g>

If we had to stifle ourselves with respect to politicians, celebrities and others in the public domain, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. But to rag on EACH OTHER is rude and, in many cases, cruel. -- CC

It depends on what you mean with "to rag on Each OTHER". It's a question of who gets to draw the line. Saddam would not have described himself as a torturer, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one. Galeno probably wouldn't describe himself as a pothead, but, well... I never saw him take offense.<g>

Debate can be stifled by feigning offense if expressing offense is the standard for triggering censorship. That's a danger we face here with the "incivility" defense. If we have to walk on eggs for fear of hurting somebody's feelings, it would get pretty boring around here. Expecting every nutty opinion that comes along to be treated as valid or every person who spews their hatred or dishonesty to be treated as a person who deserves respect just doesn't cut it. I try to confine what some describe as personal attacks to accurate interpretations (of their behavior) that are honest if unflattering, but that's just me. I personally would never have "ragged on" hocus the way some people did, but I can't say he didn't bring it on himself. When you skate onto the ice and get the end of your stick bloody, it's a little late to worry about the rules or cry foul because a little of your blood got spilled.

If we really must add thin-skinned crybabies to the protected list, I for one, hope they go away. I prefer intellectually honest debate to phony civility that impedes expression of the truth. If that bothers somebody, it's probably because they aren't comfortable with intellectual or honest. Anybody who wants to is certainly free to express dissent, but I'll hold that to the same standard of honesty that I hold myself to. I've never FA'd anybody for incivility to me, because frankly, I'm curious to learn about how others see me and whether they can justify their opinions.

1HF

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170328 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/25/2004 6:32 AM
Debate can be stifled by feigning offense if expressing offense is the standard for triggering censorship. That's a danger we face here with the "incivility" defense. If we have to walk on eggs for fear of hurting somebody's feelings, it would get pretty boring around here. Expecting every nutty opinion that comes along to be treated as valid or every person who spews their hatred or dishonesty to be treated as a person who deserves respect just doesn't cut it.

I totally understand what you are saying here, and absolutely agree that we should not be expected to agree with that which everyone spouts. However, there is a certain decorum that we use face to face in society that tends to get lost in the anonymity of the written board. I've been guilty of it myself, and it is one of the reasons I left the board for so long.

Though it seems to have tempered somewhat, the culture of this board seems to be to allow these personal attacks as acceptable. IMO, it also serves to stiffle debate by chasing off the newbies who decide not to risk such personal attacks and chose not to participate in the board discussion. That is our loss.

InParadise,
who uses the ignore thread option liberally

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170411 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/25/2004 2:40 PM
I am a relative newbie and have been somewhat disappointed by this board. It purports to be a "Retire Early" board, on which one would expect to share ideas on how to do so, along with discussions on investing ideas, allocations, assumptions, etc. Yet, most of the posts on this board are on political topics--trying to find the 'meat' of what this board is supposed to be about forces one to wade thru deep political BS. It appears to me that it's the political threads that seem to step up the hostility--why can't this board be about what it was designed for, and leave the political threads for the political boards? Or do you all enjoy spending your free time trying to aggravate each other? ;-)

2old

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170418 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/25/2004 3:09 PM
2old4bs asks,

I am a relative newbie and have been somewhat disappointed by this board. It purports to be a "Retire Early" board, on which one would expect to share ideas on how to do so, along with discussions on investing ideas, allocations, assumptions, etc. Yet, most of the posts on this board are on political topics--trying to find the 'meat' of what this board is supposed to be about forces one to wade thru deep political BS. It appears to me that it's the political threads that seem to step up the hostility--why can't this board be about what it was designed for, and leave the political threads for the political boards? Or do you all enjoy spending your free time trying to aggravate each other? ;-)

You'll find the answer in the FAQ.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20740602

Why are there so many off-topic and political posts on the Retire Early board?

Most of the early retirement questions have been answered many times. If all we did was discuss Safe Withdrawal Rates (SWR) from a retirement portfolio and early IRA withdrawals, there'd be about 2 posts per day on this board and most of our most knowledgable posters would have left long ago.

</snip>

intercst

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170422 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/25/2004 3:24 PM
Recommendations: 7
It appears to me that it's the political threads that seem to step up the hostility--why can't this board be about what it was designed for, and leave the political threads for the political boards? Or do you all enjoy spending your free time trying to aggravate each other? ;-)

I don't know if you saw this thread, but BAMartin asked a retirement question, and people immediately jumped in to help her, not just on retirement but a bunch of other stuff.

Ask a question.

- tmeri

Author: LEOLOneeds2Bfire Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170461 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/25/2004 5:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
trying to find the 'meat' of what this board is supposed to be about forces one to wade thru deep political BS. It appears to me that it's the political threads that seem to step up the hostility--why can't this board be about what it was designed for

Many of us have been on this board for years. I have been reading them since November of 1999 (under a different name). We have heard everything FIRE several times now. Not much left to say.

Start a subject if you have any FIRE thing to say.

Or you can try:

FIRE Wannabees:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20808123

Retire Well on Less:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20795830

Leolo

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170936 of 756655
Subject: Re: meta: rule against personal attacks ? Date: 5/29/2004 11:26 AM
I confess I stumbled across this thread and was puzzled (still am) as to what prompted it.

However...

If we had to stifle ourselves with respect to politicians, celebrities and others in the public domain, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. But to rag on EACH OTHER is rude and, in many cases, cruel.

Agreed -- 100 percent.

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement