UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: carlo1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 487  
Subject: Metastock Date: 4/24/2003 5:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have just bought Metastock version 8 and I am wondering can I use the price data from TC2000 to update my stocks in Metastock, does anyone else use TC2000 data with Metastock?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cynicinvestor Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 475 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 4/24/2003 3:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I would be very careful about using TC2000 data for anything.
There was a time when TC2000 was very much the industry standard for clean data. During the last two years, it seems that they have been allocating to advertising the money they used to spend in data cleaning. Today, I do not think it is even worth the price of the subscription, since it is largely a place for their own advertising.

Vizcacha

Author: bechbung Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 476 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 4/26/2003 4:34 AM
Try looking at this user group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metastockusers/

In the file section there is are instructions on how to transfer TC2000 data. I personally haven't found any hard evidence that TC2000 data are unreliable. How bad is the problem Vizcacha?

John

Author: cynicinvestor Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 477 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 4/28/2003 10:23 AM
How bad is the problem ?

I follow about 400 stocks on a more or less routine basis. This includes all capitalizations above 100 millons. In this list, on the average, I observe about one mistake per week or so. It comes in many flavors. It can be splits not adjusted, wrong closing price, etc. Sometimes there are abrupt discontinuities in prices, like the stock has had a non existent split. There are also mistakes in volume.

Vizcacha

Author: bechbung Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 478 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 4/28/2003 6:37 PM
You write in the present tense. Does this mean that despite its problems you still use their data? The appeal of TC2k for me is their mix of price/volume data and fundamental information.

John

Author: cynicinvestor Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 479 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 4/29/2003 12:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yes, I am still a subscriber. The cost is really low and I am careful in checking their data whenever I see something that looks strange.
On the other hand, I no longer use their data in any kind of analysis where I cannot look at each data individually.
I guess you can say that the cost benefit ratio is still favorable.
Vizcacha

Author: carlo1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 480 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 4/30/2003 4:45 PM
Thanks for posting the link John.

Author: bechbung Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 481 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 5/1/2003 2:53 PM
Your welcome Carlo1, let me know if it works ok or is too slow, as I haven't had a go myself yet. Thanks in turn to Vizcacha for the warning, I shall try to take care to double check if there is anything unusual in the data in future.

John

Author: carlo1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 482 of 487
Subject: Re: Metastock Date: 5/4/2003 4:03 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hi John,
I been using TC2000 for several days now to update Metastock and I have had no problems with it. I take on board what Vizcacha says about the reliability of TC2000 price data, I have been using TC2000 for several years and I dont think its as reliable as it once was. However I also have another data provider and double check the prices.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement