UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465341  
Subject: Re: If capitalism has failed ... Date: 10/28/2011 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 113
Methinks perhaps our OP doesn't quite understand capitalism (and appears to be in numerous company.)

Dave,

I almost always agree with you 100%, but I understand why the earlier poster asserts that the "capitalists" broke the system.

The way I look at it, capitalism should benefit those with the actual cash at risk - i.e., the beneficial owners of the company and providers of the capital.

An awful lot of these generous compensation & severance packages are negotiated by a board filled with cronies of the potential hire on the opposite side of the table. Many of the board members are CEOs of other companies where the potential CEO hire also sits on that board. They have a vested interest in keeping each other in jobs & board positions. The perqs (corporate jets, concerts, golf games, junkets, free trinkets & high-society invitations) are pretty appealing. Buddies who serve on each other's boards can keep a steady stream of fees, perqs, bonuses & golden parachutes almost indefinitely.

That's not the capitalism most people identify with. That's what many people consider another facet of crony capitalism.

The fiduciary interests of the beneficial owners/ultimate shareholders are often far from any of the elite board members' and company executives' minds - except to the extent that they might have unexercised stock options or receive share compensation.

People have begun to suspect that the boards of the big shareholders (pension funds, insurance companies, etc.) get nice perqs courtesy of the crony board member's clubs and therefore often don't really look out for their "own" interests, either. Otherwise, the big institutional shareholders would clear out the elite boards and put in some folks whose primary interest is that of the grannies, pensioners & small investors whose actual out-of-pocket cash funds the whole game.

During most of my life, I have socially interacted with a crowd that includes many of the Fortune 500 "corner office" bunch - and they include some of the most entitled-acting, smug SOB's you could ever meet. Common people intuitively recognize this and they resent it.

Yeah, I recognize that the common people don't mind if movie stars & athletes make tens of millions, yet they resent the poor CEO who only gets a $25 million severance after losing his company $$ millions. That's because stars & athletes only cost granny or granny's grandkids the price of an event ticket, while CEOs that run companies into the ground cost granny the retirement income she expects to get from the shares she funded through her pension fund, IRA, 401k, annuity, etc.

Common people are now thinking that the boards of the big pension funds, retirement systems, insurance companies, etc. aren't really looking after granny's interest. They're looking after themselves, just like all their cronies on the other boards.

People are starting to feel that they've been sold a bill of goods by their elected representatives, their brokers, their unions, their bankers, their insurance companies & their board representaitves.

To many people, the elite who run all these organizations just don't appear to understand their fiduciary duty to granny (the beneficial owner whose shares are held in street name).

/End of rant.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement