Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I received a cash distribution check in April 2000 when MetLife converted from a mutual to a stock life insurance company. I also received a Form 1099-B which states that I have to report this amount on my schedule D. I have the info I need to fill out everything except the cost or other basis. What amount am I supposed to put there?? Am I supposed to figure this out on my own?? I've always done my own taxes and never had problems reporting capital gains from my mutual funds, but then again, they've always stated what the average basis was. Please's the only thing I need before filing my taxes. thanks for any advise.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.