Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: Mexico Date: 6/5/2005 2:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Why don't more FIRE people go to Mexico?

Your health care is largely covered by the state down there, the cost of living is lower, and you can hire help much cheaper. You can fly out and visit relatives as often as you do now.

???
Print the post Back To Top
Author: texandesi Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3288 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/5/2005 5:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
How is the crime rate?

- TD

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3289 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/5/2005 10:30 PM
I suspect that if you take Mexico City and the border zone out of the equation (and not many people consider either of those two places as viable options for retirement locations) then it's not much different than a typical town in mid-U.S. No doubt there is a lot of crime in the country, but since there are a lot fewer guns you don't hear about drive by shootings, people walking into their place of work and gunning down half a dozen co-workers, or students shooting other teachers or fellow students.

The government does not cover health care costs. Residents can purchase insurance through IMSS (government social security system) but that's probably better used as a backup major medical type insurance, unless you really enjoy spending hours in a crowded clinic waiting to see a doctor about your cold. Health care in the country varies widely, depending on how close you live to a major urban area. Mexico City and Guadalajara (to name two places) have state of the art medical facilities (not generally available to people covered under IMSS). As you get out in the country it gets a lot spottier. I can get adequate middle of the road health care here, but I doubt there's much fancy medical equipment within a few hours drive of where I live. And I have lived in small places where there wasn't even a doctor in the town (I use the word town loosely here).

Regards

G.F.

Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3291 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/6/2005 9:58 AM
So I guess I would ask- what do you do for health insurance?

Do you just pay out of pocket to see a doctor for normal medical care, and have IMSS for major catastrophe coverage?

Or do you have a plan through the US- and if so how much does it cost?

Author: HaltCatchFire Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3293 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/6/2005 11:02 AM
Recommendations: 2
Why don't more FIRE people go to Mexico?

Your health care is largely covered by the state down there

My understanding, from Mexican ex-pats living in Texas, is that IMSS is the provider of last resort. So while low-cost medical care is available, you wouldn't really want to use it.

the cost of living is lower

But you have to add in the additional cost of things you take for granted in the US, like security and clean water. These cannot be taken for granted in Mexico.

and you can hire help much cheaper.

This might be a personal preference. I don't hire a lot of help in the US so that's not really an area of potential savings for me.

HTH,

- HCF

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3294 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/6/2005 11:56 AM
yttire:

So I guess I would ask- what do you do for health insurance? Do you just pay out of pocket to see a doctor for normal medical care, and have IMSS for major catastrophe coverage?

Exactly. Although we're leaning towards taking out private medical insurance (down here) and dropping the IMSS just because I'd like a better option than the local IMSS facility provides if I have to get cut on.

Our current mode of operation is to self fund anything up through emergency room care or minor surgery. We'll rely on IMSS (or private insurance if and when we switch) for anything major.

btw, dental care is also pretty reasonable down here, so we cover that ourselves too.

G.F.

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3295 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/6/2005 12:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
HTH:

My understanding, from Mexican ex-pats living in Texas, is that IMSS is the provider of last resort. So while low-cost medical care is available, you wouldn't really want to use it.

IMSS facilities vary widely depending on where you live.

But medical care in general down here is low-cost and generally acceptable (just my opinion based on what I've seen). We pay for our doctors visits and I think the doctors we've used are pretty capable. You need some sort of major medical backup, and that can be either IMSS or private insurance, depending on where you live and what's available.

And there are a number of expats living down here that prefer to return to the states if they need medical care. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

But you have to add in the additional cost of things you take for granted in the US, like security and clean water. These cannot be taken for granted in Mexico.

While there are a few municipalities with good water supply systems, generally you'll assume that the domestic water supply to your house shouldn't be used for drinking or cooking. Most people just purchase purified drinking water in the large 5 gallon bottles that get delivered in almost all neighborhoods each day. It's not much of an extra cost.

Security? Are you referring to private security like a guard for your house?? While there are people (both expat and Mexicans) who either live in an obvious show of wealth (house/lifestyle) or who have a high profile job that may make them feel like a target, I'd venture to say that 98-99% of the expats I've known or know down here don't feel the need to employ them.

Of course, maybe I just don't run in the better circles.

btw, it's just my opinion but I believe that if you want to live in the same lifestyle as you do up north, that living down here is not significantly cheaper. I think you could find a place out in the country in many states, as long as the place hasn't been "discovered", live a simple lifestyle, and get by as cheaply as you would down here. And without the hassle of learning a new language or set of cultural norms.

G.F.

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3296 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/6/2005 2:16 PM
Most people just purchase purified drinking water in the large 5 gallon bottles that get delivered in almost all neighborhoods each day. It's not much of an extra cost.

In my neighborhood in Los Angeles, most people from Mexico carry 5-gallon bottles home from the corner water store every night or every second night. The stores (using reverse-osmosis systems) dispense the water into the customer's own bottle for 20 or 25 cents per gallon.

A social-service agency has been waging an unsuccessful campaign to persuade its clients that this is unnecessary, because Los Angeles tap water is safe to drink. However, it doesn't taste very good and at least the Mexican way of buying filtered water in bulk is more economical than the Anglo way of buying it in designer bottles for five times the price.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3298 of 5084
Subject: Re: Mexico Date: 6/6/2005 6:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
the Anglo way of buying it in designer bottles for five times the price.

Five times the price of 20-25 cents per gallon? I don't think so.

That would be $1 to $1.25 per gallon.

No, we Anglos pay $1 to $1.25 per PINT.

(Actually, frequently more than that. There are 16 ounces in a pint, and the typical $1.09 bottle is more like 12 ounces. So that's about $1.45 per pint. Or $11.63 per gallon. For filtered water.)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement