Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mediocrepat Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2364  
Subject: MFI + F-Score + MSN Date: 9/24/2012 8:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've seen several (dated) posts on people trying to combine the magic formula with Piotroski's F-Score and MSN's Stockscouter, however I have not been able to track down results people have had using this method. Has anyone seen their results improve running the MFI stocks through the additional screens? I envision doing the following (taken from a post on this board, although I can't seem to find it again):

1. MFI screen (from http://www.magicdiligence.com/tools/mfiscreens.php)
2. Piotroski F-score greater then 6 (from http://www.gurufocus.com)
3. Check MSN Stockscouter score, if greater then 8, buy the stock
4. If MSN score less then 8, put stock on watch list
5. Continue to recheck MSN score
6. Recheck score indefinately until it increases or falls off the MFI website

Running through that algorithm provides the following list:

This list is sorted first by F-Score (high->low), then by MSN score(high->low), then by Market Cap(low->high).

Ticker F-Score MSN
PDLI 7 10
DLX 7 9
BKE 6 10
CA 6 10
LLL 6 9
INTC 6 9
SCLN 6 8
JCOM 6 8
KLAC 6 8
FRX 6 8
CSCO 6 8

Welcome additional thoughts.
Pat
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2271 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI + F-Score + MSN Date: 10/7/2012 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
2. Piotroski F-score greater then 6 (from http://www.gurufocus.com)
3. Check MSN Stockscouter score, if greater then 8, buy the stock

Your list implies Piotroski greater than or equal than 6 and MSN StockScounter greater than or equal than 8.

I'm always a little leery about MSN StockScouter, when their "top rated" list of stocks doesn't contain all 10-rated stocks.

Author: ZiggyDawg Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2272 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI + F-Score + MSN Date: 10/8/2012 4:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
Several years back I was running some long term experiments that did just that (combine Piotroski + MF, CAPS + MF, MSN + MF, Stocks 360 + MF etc etc) and over longer periods of time, and in every single case, pure random selections had better outcomes.

A good example is the MFI CAPS page here (which I've voluntarily managed for over 5 years now): http://caps.fool.com/player/trackjgreenblatt.aspx Total Score: 785.06 (88th percentile) and average pick score of +3.91 above the S&P. - Not too shabby for a mechanical screen.

ZD

Author: mediocrepat Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2274 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI + F-Score + MSN Date: 10/16/2012 3:26 AM
That isn't too bad at all for a mechanical screen. Ok, so trying to combine MFI with other screens hasn't really produced better results. What about trying to account for Graham's valuation and margin of safety with MFI? I know MFI says to hold onto the stocks for approx 1 year, but what if you only held on until you were close to the valuation of the stock within your margin of safety? This means you could sell it well before a year or hang onto it for longer?

Thanks for doing the tracker, certainly good to see this in action over the last 5 years.

Author: ZiggyDawg Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2275 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI + F-Score + MSN Date: 10/16/2012 3:28 PM
What about trying to account for Graham's valuation and margin of safety with MFI? I know MFI says to hold onto the stocks for approx 1 year, but what if you only held on until you were close to the valuation of the stock within your margin of safety?

What you wrote assumes you have the ability and skill to a. evaluate what a given company's earning will be at a given point in the future and b. that you'll be able to approximate with reasonable accuracy the fair value of that company based on those earnings and c. that the market will eventually agree with your valuation.

If you (like Graham, Buffett, Greenblatt and others) have these abilities, then you should absolutely sell when your position reached your target valuation (if not - just stick to the mechanical screen).

ZD

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement