Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NozRydr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2364  
Subject: MFI: Month 12 Date: 8/28/2012 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Missed a couple months updating here.

At end of first full year with real money my MFI stocks using the $30M filter are up 7.15%. That's well off the 15-17% pace I saw in the first 6 months.

Now I'm starting to rotate out of 'em month by month. Questioning my committment to continuing adding MFI picks each month from here on out.

Main impressions at this juncture?
1. Personal discipline/committment to this MFI process is _tough_.
2. The MFI filter really drops some cigar butts in your lap.
3. The MFI filter really drops some nice cyclical or out of favor gems in your lap.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2254 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 8/30/2012 10:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the update. The S&P500 is up July to July:

S&P 500 1 Year Return: 6.74% for Jul 2012

Probably add another 1-2% for August, looks like you did about the same as the general market.

Are you benchmarking your picks? Just curious.

Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2255 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 8/30/2012 11:30 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've also been missing quite a few month for posting my progress, so since you are being all responsible, I should do the same.

I pulled up my account activity for the past 12 months and summed up my invested amounts (debits) and returns (dividends plus current market value of holdings). I am showing a profit of 12.5% for the past 12 months.

About a third of my holdings are negative, the middle third ranged from 0%-7%, and the upper third are up 12%-32%. This doesn't include dividends, just stock value.

My impressions:
1. Yes you are right about that! I have lots of activity in the fall of last year, and then didn't do much at all in the spring. (one buy between Jan and May!) Then I got on the stick, put a reminder in my iPhone calendar, and invested each month. So I did a lot of investing in the last four months.
2. Cigar butts, yes. Out of 22 holdings from 2011 to now, 2 are down over 30% (Weight Watchers and HP)
3. Cyclicals, yes as well. I have 3 up over 30% (Almost Family, Tempur-Pedic, and Seagate)

I've had fun by combining additional preferences to the random-market cap list I generate each month. Sometimes I'll rank the list of thirty by dividend yield and pick the top payers; or Value Line's 3-5 yr Target Price Range, or Piotroski score, or CAPS 5 stars, etc. Can't say it's improved results at all, but it keeps it interesting. If you'd like to see more detailed results, let me know.

Author: itconsultant Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2257 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 9/3/2012 11:24 PM
i would be interested in your results. Do you throw out ones with weakest balance sheets or lowest FCF?

Author: NozRydr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2258 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 9/4/2012 1:14 AM
<i would be interested in your results. Do you throw out ones with weakest balance sheets or lowest FCF? >

Nope. Purely mechanical. Took the lowest market cap screen ($50M) results and selected 2-3/month from those results using a random number generator.

My only deviation from the MFI formula in year #1 was to sell APOL and CRAY for profit before 12 months.

Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2259 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 9/5/2012 1:03 PM
Recommendations: 2
Personally, I don't "throw out", I rank. If my random 30 all had weak balance sheets, I would just take the strongest, if I was sorting on that.

You could for example rank by P/FCF and pick the best few. Again, there is no proof this will help or hurt your performance. Mostly I do it for the psychological benefits: it keeps me interested and participating even I feel bad about the market.

Author: BigOFool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2260 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 9/5/2012 4:19 PM
What I do is check the CAPS rating and start there. I start with the 4 and 5 stars.

Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2261 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 9/6/2012 6:33 PM
Yep, that's what I'm doing this month. For example, my random market cap for this month is 242 and there are 6 five-star stocks out of the list of 30:

Mrkt Cap MF CAPS
CACI International Inc. CACI 1,299.16 5
Cisco Systems Inc CSCO 99,697.50 5
Dolby Laboratories Inc DLB 3,524.52 5
Kulicke and Soffa Ind KLIC 835.68 5
ManTech Internatl Corp MANT 825.15 5
Vaalco Energy Inc EGY 421.54 5

So I picked 3 out of these, since I already had the other 3. As an interesting note, of the 30 there were 6 fives, 6 fours, 5 threes, 11 twos, and 2 ones. Pretty evenly distributed!

Author: itconsultant Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2262 of 2364
Subject: Re: MFI: Month 12 Date: 9/8/2012 1:14 AM
very interesting short list. i have one of these on my list.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement