UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10536  
Subject: Re: Speakers Date: 1/4/2013 5:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Michael, I've been lurking, watching the speaker thread above as we'd like to make some moves this year... Receiver, I think I'm set with a Yamaha RX-V673 unit with the sub control jack... (not yet ordered but on my list)

wecoguy

That’s a really 7.2 nice amp. All nice bells and whistles both audio and visual. An amp that will last years and years. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amp...

But speakers, besides the sub, from your link http://www.parts-express.com/brand/bic-america/411 above, I spotted http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=303-...... But, it's 8" high which will cover a couple inches of my Samsung 46" TV! Other ones we've looked at are slimmer, but they insist on including a sub I don't want/need, since we have a new powered Yamaha sub already.....

Speaker bars seem to eliminate some of the clutter, too bad the BIC Formula FH56-BAR is too high...

So, looking for alternates...

I like riprock’s answer: build a platform on which the TV sits so there’s room for a sound bar. Don’t know what rip used but my cheapie idea is bricks and a board. Bose has a new speaker that fits under the TV but it’s limited to the weight of the TV and your 46 may be too heavy for it. Plus the price is a tad high.

The family room area is not huge, open to kitchen on the left. What I have now is a cobble of old cast metal bookshelves, RS I think, better than none, but much less than would/could be a decent setup... The new receiver means all the existing wiring will be redone, to HDMI... Should be fun...

I did that when I switched from the Yamaha RX-Z9 (component) to the Z-11 (HDMI). Elly got worried seeing the growing pile of no-longer-necessary cables wondering if I was stripping too much away.

As for your room think of the kitchen as a reverb chamber/cavity which is not a bad thing since it does open what could be a too-small area. We have the same although the main area is about 3,000 cubic feet and the kitchen about the same. The only problem I encountered was in bass management and that solved by placing the subs away from corner echoing. When you get your system with the new amp play with where you have the powered sub.

If I win the lottery tonight ($50 million) I am going to build the perfect home theater room. Then I am going to build a house around it.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement