UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: qaddy Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75839  
Subject: Re: Even SS does better than this Date: 1/4/2005 11:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Michael Savage listener, pekinrobin?
I've heard him use the "sheeple" term, is why I ask.

> There are people even on this board, apparently people who had benefit of college, who can't figure out that adding a layer of commissions and fees to any service will raise its costs and lower its return. What can you do if a man will not agree that 2 plus 2 equals 4?

I'm not sure if I agree with this or not. The 2 main problems with SS as far as I understand (which could be totally wrong and I am open to correction)

a) the money doens't really exist anywhere (i.e. there is no real fund) distributions are paid out of current budget. if the money doesn't really exist somewhere what kind of return can you really expect from it?

b) managed funds underperform the market. and anything the goverment manages had a predisposition to underperfom commonsense.

Privatization I think alleviates (A) because it designates "real" accounts like IRA's that the goverment cannot spend. I think it helps (B) because it at least opens up the possibility of people following the market. Although I haven't heard about this 9% gain cap.

The extra layer and fees I think are more than offset by those 2 benefits.

The main reason that I think privatization wouldn't work is that there is just too much money involved. It's easier to beat the market up until the point when the money you are using actually *moves* the market because it is a significant portion of said market. Also this would put some in goverment in a situation where guaranteed market returns would be desired and I think it opens up the possibility of artifically propping up the marketplace.

qaddy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement