Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: path40a Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 95875  
Subject: Michael Vick is fun to watch! Date: 12/1/2002 9:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This appears to be the place that football is discussed at TMF. Ordinarily, I'm a tennis fool, but lately I've become a Falcon fool;-) Typically, I've been strictly a college football fan (but let's not discuss Saturday, O.K.?). However, after the Falcons got new ownership (Arthur Blank, formerly ran Home Depot), which was one of the main reasons behinds their limited success in the past, and they went 4-0 in the preseason, I decided to start watching them this Fall.

I couldn't believe it when they almost beat Green Bay, losing in overtime, the first week of the season. The next week, a missed field goal by Feely (he has more than redeemed himself though) allowed "da Bears" to escape with a win leaving the Falcons 0-2. An easy win over the Bengals was hardly a test and then I wasn't able to watch their loss to the Bucs. However, I saw the "Battle of the Bays" a week or so ago and wondered "how does Tampa Bay win without an offense (and three guys named Johnson;-)?"

Then, I watched each week as they beat the Giants, Carolina, New Orleans (an incredible day for Michael Vick against his cousin!), and Baltimore. Another true test for the team was on DW's birthday against the Steelers in Pittsburgh ... overtime ended in a tie (the first in the NFL for almost 5 years). This team is for real!

A rematch against the Saints proved they are no match for these birds, another easy win against/at Carolina, and then today's game against the Vikings (a rematch of the NFC Championship game from a few years ago ... I wasn't a fan then ... in fact, it was the only game I had watched that year ... glad I did though;-)

If you haven't watched an NFL recap show yet, watch one tonight (or watch them during tomorrow night's game). I hope they at least show you each of his two touchdown runs (28 yards and 46 yards in overtime to win) and his touchdown pass (39 yards to FINNERAN, great catch too!). What they probably won't show you is another 30-40 yard run which should have set-up another score, but the Falcons fumbled on the very next play.

Yes, he is human. He threw (only!) his 3rd interception of the season; he also fumbled it away once. But he did run for 173 yards, on only 10 carries, which must be some kind of a record for a quarterback.

Anyway, the NFL and specifically the Falcons, have earned another fan. Thank you Arthur Blank ... and of course, Michael Vick!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement