UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757322  
Subject: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
I know he posted here. The sad news is that he passed away.

http://boards.fool.com/michaelread-30516470.aspx
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669437 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 9:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Sadness.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669438 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
Sadness.
--

Yes.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669440 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 10:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks PSU for lettin us know.

arrete

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669442 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 10:30 PM
Recommendations: 34
First GringoFool and now Michael Read.

Oh my God. These were two of the people I really wanted to meet in real life after talking to them online on the Fool for years and years. I almost made that trip to Vancouver in British Columbia a few months ago, but didn't since I was unemployed. I would have visited Michael and Riprock.

I am really sick about this.

Michael was always the one that reached out to you in bad times. He was the grandfatherly, caring type. He had probably no enemies....period. He always had just the right word to console you....really. He really had a way with words.

Remember, when I first told the board I was unemployed?? He emailed me and gave me his phone number to call him. And guess what?? I didn't do it. I am really regretting that now.

He was a man of great accomplishment as well. He had many occupations and endeavors in life. Some really stunning stuff he did.

Michael was well-known on the board for his boat stories. He loved the water. He owned a boat shop in the area......and sadly had to close the place down recently. He has written recently about it. He was well loved on the Fool for many, many years. I loved him as a grandfather I never had.

RIP...Michael Read. If Art is right, I will meet you some day. I will give you a great big hug.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669447 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 11:47 PM
Dammit. That really sucks. I'm going to miss him.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669448 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/30/2013 11:50 PM
Sadness.

Shocking.

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669458 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 1:30 AM
Recommendations: 5
Sadness.

There are many Fools who have gone before him, but he will be among those most missed. :`(

Always,
Hunzi

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669459 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 1:34 AM
Does anyone know why he died? I perceived he was a young(er) man.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669460 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 4:08 AM
Recommendations: 1
he was hospitalized with acute shortness of breath about a week ago.

He was 72

peace & that is all I know
t

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669461 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 4:22 AM
I hope I'm as vibrant as MichaelRead when I'm 72.

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669464 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 7:21 AM
Recommendations: 6
I'm really sad about this.

I live a couple of miles from Michaels boat shop, and used to go down there to visit and cadge free coffee and shoot the breeze with Michael. The folks who worked in the shop loved him.

Everyone who knew Michael enjoyed his company.

I'll miss him.

Rip

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669467 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 8:08 AM
He was a great guy. Don't know a soul on this site that ever had a bad thing to say about him. Rest in Peace MichaelRead.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669470 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 9:04 AM
Sad that he is gone.

I wonder, if he had been an American instead of a Canadian, maybe he would have had heart valve replacement surgery?

My Uncle had a bad heart valve (from rheumatic fever as a kid)......they transplanted a pig heart valve into him and kept him going for years more.

Or maybe even a heart transplant?

I suspect in Canada the waiting line for those surgeries are years long.

One just wonders.

t.

Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669474 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 9:21 AM
Recommendations: 6
TMF's motto is "....to educate, amuse, and enrich.". Virtually every post Michael wrote did that for me in some way, and I am confident that I speak for countless others in saying that.

Michael took you into his world and left you with a sense of having experienced it. You were transported aboard a salmon boat. You "became" a business owner who left the office each day but only physically. If you were an 8-5 person your entire working life, you got an in-depth look at what Buck Stops Here actually meant after 5. You sensed the value and release afforded by self-deprecation and an undying sense of humor after taking a long look into the mirror.

We were richer for having had him and much poorer now that we've lost him. He embodied the TMF credo as few others have.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669477 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 9:28 AM

He was 72

peace & that is all I know
t

I remember him posting about having difficulty with his blood pressure medication and side effects a couple months ago. I'm hoping something stupid wasn't overlooked. Or delayed.

I'll miss him.

JLC

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669484 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 10:03 AM
Recommendations: 8
I suspect in Canada the waiting line for those surgeries are years long.

No, tele, it's not like that. I know this first hand from the experiences of extended family and acquaintances. Canadian health care is not like the examples you point out re the warts of the U.K. system, and definitely not the bumbling, crafted nightmare the likes of Obamacare. Certainly, Canadians don't have as many facilities as we do in the U.S. It's not a market based health care system, and when the sh*t hits the fan in the U.S., well, the howling will begin. Socialized medicine, even under the best circumstances, will not provide adequate care a patient will wish to pursue. Maybe Michael's situation was that there was nothing that could be done. Sometimes an acute illness will arise where the patient, despite the best of care, will not survive. It's a shocking loss about Michael, but in many cases, a loss in life, such as Michael's business - source of fulfillment and purpose, does something negative to a person. I don't know, I'm just throwing out a theory, but in all this conjecture, a valuable human being was taken away. Let that be the thought, and the good memories people have of a creative, productive life lived while here.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669489 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 10:19 AM
Dear BuffaloGal...maybe you should have done a web search first.

Your claim:

"No, tele, it's not like that. I know this first hand from the experiences of extended family and acquaintances. Canadian health care is not like the examples you point out re the warts of the U.K. system, and definitely not the bumbling, crafted nightmare the likes of Obamacare."

Here's the facts, ma'am

"RESULTS

Of the 2516 patients booked for aortic valve surgery with a primary diagnosis of aortic stenosis, 2237 subjects (88.9%) were eligible for analysis after exclusions. The eligible patients ranged in age from 22 to 95 years, and 36.8% were female. The true median waiting time was 243 days (148 days [25th percentile], 397 days [75th percentile]), which was 3.2 times the interval currently reported as the waiting time (75 days [42, 127]). Thirty-nine patients died while waiting for surgery. Patients used more resources while waiting for surgery than after surgery.

CONCLUSIONS

True waiting times for surgery for aortic stenosis in British Columbia are significantly longer than reported waiting times. The authors propose that the wait list time for cardiovascular surgery be redefined as “the time interval between the patient’s first contact with a medical care provider with symptoms or signs which ultimately lead to cardiovascular surgery and the date of that surgery”.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2560551/

---

So Michael starting having real problems six months ago......and ....duh!...the average waiting time for surgery is 9 months.

----

Is as bad or as worse as the failing UK system.

Now, if he were in the USA...he'd have likely had his surgery scheduled in six weeks or less. The Cleveland Clinic uses robotically assisted surgery.

I'd bet Canada likely has only one or two of those systems in the entire country. Their high tech machines are severely limited due to lack of funds and investments. Instead they give you meds and tell you to take it easy and 'good luck'.

t

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669505 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 11:00 AM
Recommendations: 12
Maybe this shouldn't turn into a political discussion.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669510 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 11:15 AM
mbarr:" Maybe this shouldn't turn into a political discussion. "

Maybe Michael would be with us today ....so talking about health care is certainly appropriate.

I presented actual facts from a commission studying the current health care situation in British COlumbia, where M-IR lived with regard to heart valve surgery.

If you think nine months wait, AFTER you manage to get on the list, which could take another six months or a year, is 'acceptable'......then you'll be really happy with Obamakare and the rationing that is sure to follow.

What else needs to be said?

t.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669511 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 11:17 AM
My Uncle had a bad heart valve (from rheumatic fever as a kid)

My mother died young (39) from a heart attack. Her heart was also weakened from having had rheumatic fever as a child. I don't know the specifics; I was too young (6) at the time.

Aortic valve replacement has come a long way. There's a technique which involves changing the valve percutaneously (without opening the chest). They go from the femoral artery in the groin and work their way back almost 40 inches to the aortic valve. The whole procedure takes an hour and a half. Barbara Bush had this done when she was 83.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669513 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 11:18 AM
Recommendations: 35
If you think nine months wait, AFTER you manage to get on the list, which could take another six months or a year, is 'acceptable'......then you'll be really happy with Obamakare and the rationing that is sure to follow.

What else needs to be said?

t.

>>>>>>>>
the thread was an announcement of a fellow poster's death......I am in shock and very sad about it, let this thread focus on the tremendous loss of a good and gentle man to let others' share their feelings on it...please.

LuckyDog

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669526 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 12:18 PM
Thanks for posting. This is very sad. I will miss Michael's posts. Would have loved to have met him and shared a Canadian beer or two.

Mike

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669528 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 12:26 PM
Recommendations: 9
http://boards.fool.com/a-conversation-30496885.aspx

Link to Michael's final post on this board.

Mike

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669547 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 1:17 PM
http://boards.fool.com/a-conversation-30496885.aspx

Link to Michael's final post on this board.

Mike

I'm currently having a laugh because of MichaelRead. Partially from his last post and partially from a medical article I just read. Awhile back we had an exchange/discussion about his medication and its side effects. The article dealt with one of his drugs and its potential for hallucinations. So it makes me wonder/chuckle, was there really a Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

JLC

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669548 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 1:29 PM
Oh geez, I saw this thread on Michael. I assumed it was just a health update and I'd get to it later. I had just bought him a get well card and it has a stamp all ready to go.

Damn, I am very sad.

Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669551 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 1:33 PM
Deeply sorry to hear this. Back in the day I used to enjoy his posts on the Microsoft board, one of which famously was titled 'C.R.A.P.' or something to that effect :)

His send ups of the annual Feste Award were also not to be missed!

Thanks Michael, for some lovely conversations. May your soul rest in peace

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669554 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 1:53 PM
To Michael, I give you the last rec I can.

You will be missed.

Cheers!

MetalDecathlete

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669569 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 5

He was 72 -- tconi

More like 75 from this December post talking about his unhappiness with no longer running a business and retirement.

http://boards.fool.com/anniversary-30438535.aspx?sort=userna......

I remember him posting about having difficulty with his blood pressure medication and side effects a couple months ago. I'm hoping something stupid wasn't overlooked. Or delayed. --JLC

From this December post on depression he talks about stopping taking his BP and heart medication and how his depression lifted a little. That heart medication often affects your state of mind and not for the better—-the writer Larry McMurtry, for one, has also written eloquently about the heart and blood pressure medicine’s affect on him.

http://boards.fool.com/depression-30458047.aspx?sort=usernam...

Author: mazske Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669575 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 3:43 PM
Recommendations: 19
I've been a Fool since 1999. During that time, several Fools have passed on. None of us know when our time will come. So, live life to the fullest, plan for tomorrow as it may come, cherish your memories and smile a lot as smiles help this world to continue spinning in a positive direction.

I've enjoyed reading Michael's posts over the years. He will be missed.

Author: LeKitKat Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669636 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 9:35 PM
he has retired far too early. He leaves a void that can't be filled. His wonderful wit and writings will be missed

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669646 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 10:19 PM
The man was a great wit, interesting, fun to talk to. I built a nice home theater with his help.

I miss him.

RM

Author: FreethinkerKW Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669647 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 10:31 PM
The man had class. I will miss his posts.

Author: BGinNJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669664 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 1/31/2013 11:44 PM
Recommendations: 7
<There are many descriptions of depression but mine is the loss of laughter. A mind that can laugh cannot be depressed. I had stopped laughing and, worse, lost the ability to make others laugh...Most medications list the side-effects and I would like to add one: ‘expect a complete loss of humor’. That alone would cause me to run for the hills.>

Thanks for finding this Catmeyoo. It expresses my sentiments much better than I ever could. Michael made me laugh many times. For that alone he will always be appreciated. His humor was always delivered naturally and came from a good place.

Being in need of a good laugh on a sad day like this, I plugged in a favorite video of a Laurel and Hardy classic Helpmates. While the time of L&H is far in the past, there are certain elements of humanity and silliness that remain appealing 80 years after the film was made. No other comedy team has ever been able to match their humor as it all flows from their highly developed characters. This movie packs more belly laughs into 21 minutes than any so called comedy feature one can see today. The basic plot is Ollies wife has been away and she is due home at noon today. Ollie threw a big party and card game last night and now he calls on Stan to help him fix it up so that "no one will be any the wiser". Of course every possible calamity befalls him and the house never gets fixed up.

I think Michael would have enjoyed watching it too as I have no doubt it would have greatly tickled his funny bone. There is a good reason many have said down through the years that "laughter is the best medicine". It is simple, but true. Rest in Peace my friend.

BG

Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669665 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 12:10 AM
I remember him posting about having difficulty with his blood pressure medication and side effects a couple months ago. I'm hoping something stupid wasn't overlooked. Or delayed.
========================================

I remember that post well, because it caused me to ask him what specific medication it was. So, he stops taking his heart meds and dies within a few weeks? I have an uneasy feeling about this.

He was a helluva guy, I made sure to read all of his posts.

Author: putka Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669670 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 3:20 AM
I was a fan of his mails- hilarious & profound. He had a way with words.

RIP Michael!

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669690 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 10:32 AM
I can't express the deep sorrow I feel for Michael Read's sudden passing, but I know I'm not alone.

His last post was very poignant and I wonder if he knew his time was near?

I'm going to miss him.

Rest In Peace Michael Read

Author: Hochizen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669739 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 3:10 PM
Sad as well.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669799 of 757322
Subject: Re: MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 10:14 PM
Just now getting to this thread and I am shocked and saddened.

Michael was a wonderful person, very accomplished and a great writer and humorist. He will be missed.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement