UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: orchidman16 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189506  
Subject: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Free or Date: 10/16/2009 11:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Would very much appreciate an opinion - or two - from someone who has used Microsoft Security Essentials.

How does it rank versus other free anti-virus programs such as AVG or Avast.

Thank you very much.

Orchidman 16
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rshoe4056 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158395 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/17/2009 9:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for about two weeks
on a laptop and a desktop without problems (that I am aware of).I switched from AVG just for the heck of it. (I am using Windows 7 RTM)

Both AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials run completely in the background. I personally think MS has finally produced a decent product. It was an easy install.

It would be difficult for me to say which is the better, AVG or Microsoft, as so little time has passed since I installed Microsoft.
IMO, they seems to be about the same, but this is based on no real facts.

In checking reviews on the internet I have seem good reviews for both, considering they are free.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158402 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/17/2009 10:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
"I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for about two weeks
on a laptop and a desktop without problems (that I am aware of).I switched from AVG just for the heck of it. (I am using Windows 7 RTM)

Both AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials run completely in the background. I personally think MS has finally produced a decent product. It was an easy install.

It would be difficult for me to say which is the better, AVG or Microsoft, as so little time has passed since I installed Microsoft.
IMO, they seems to be about the same, but this is based on no real facts.

In checking reviews on the internet I have seem good reviews for both, considering they are free."

I concur with all of this as that's been my exact same circumstance & experience period too. The initial issue of resource efficiency seems ok in comparison (check) - the merit of the actual malware security provided is only to be judged over time (open question).
B

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158413 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/17/2009 5:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
I have not used the Microsoft Product. I was about to install it on a PC I am gifting until I saw in the System Requirements a statement saying 1 GB of RAM.

In the recent past, Microsoft moved toward realisticstatements of system requirements, but they also said Vista would run on 1GB and XP would run on 128 MB.

Since the PC in question was a 1 GB XP notebook, I was not ready to risk giving the box away with an AV product that might over tax the machine. If I had had the opportunity to use the PC for a few days, I would have installed Security Essentials. All reviews say it is a good basic product.

I think the key data point for most people is what happens in an XP machine with 1 GB of RAM.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: orchidman16 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158428 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/18/2009 6:42 AM
Many thanks to those who responded to my inquiry on Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have been using AVG for some time now. Should not complain about a program which is Free and does an excellent job. Just seems to slow down my Internet work and so I have been looking at maybe changing and was interested in Microsoft Security Essentials for that reason. No decision yet.

Thanks for all the excellent information you provided. Most appreciated.

Regards to all from Orchidman16

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158439 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 9:53 AM
If AVG is really slowing down your internet work, it is most likely doing some kind of anti-phishing task. Check the settings and turn that stuff off. See if it makes a difference. If anti-Phishing is the issue, then switch your DNS servers to http://www.opendns.com/

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: orchidman16 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158441 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 1:15 PM
If AVG is really slowing down your internet work, it is most likely doing some kind of anti-phishing task. Check the settings and turn that stuff off. See if it makes a difference.
Gordon
Atlanta
===================================================
I have read and heard from others that the AVG Link Scanner is the culprit which causes a slowdown in moving thru the Internet and when opening web pages. Having been a victim of a drive-by malware infection I had continued with AVG Free thru V7.5 and V8 and v8.5 accepting any slowdown as a trade off towards some additional malware protection which also includes Spybot (Resident) and Malawarebytes (Non-Resident).

Now that I have upgraded from AVG Free V8.5 to V9 I find that the slowness seems worse and my willingness to accept some slowness for protection is being stressed a bit.

Going to take a look at the Link Scanner and consider turning it off to see if there is a speed difference - and is the difference worth any risk which might come my way via malware.

Regards and thanks from Orchidman

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158442 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 3:02 PM
I understand your desire for safety -- that is why I gave you a link to
OpenDNS.com - They have a good record of protecting people. If you think about it there are two way to protect - #1 (The AVG way) check ever link and then connect. #2 Go to links that are known to be good without hesitation, only checking those not known to be good.

At least that is my understanding of how OpenDSN works. I also run Windows Defender which provide a background type protection.

If you find AVG is bothersome, at least read the OpenDNS story.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158446 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 4:32 PM
I'm using Avast and if I understand correctly, it doesn't scan all those links that you might potentially click to open. Instead it only scans the link you click. I recently clicked a thumbnail photo at a trusted site and Avast immediately stopped my browser and warned a threat (a trojan) was detected and prevented it from loading.

The Avast scan times are also much faster than AVG 8.5 which I was using before switching. I hear AVG 9.0 is supposed to have improved this, but they have already lost me as a customer/user and I see little reason to switch back to see if it's really any better.

YMMV,
Kurt

Author: orchidman16 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158450 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 8:36 PM
The Avast scan times are also much faster than AVG 8.5 which I was using before switching. I hear AVG 9.0 is supposed to have improved this, but they have already lost me as a customer/user and I see little reason to switch back to see if it's really any better.
YMMV,
Kurt
================================
Well, don't mean to take up too much space with my situation but ...

Have enjoyed AVG Free since v7.5. Just installed v9 a few days ago.

Scan times with v9 do seem to be faster than when using 8.5 Free but opening of many web site is painfully slow..

Tonight I disabled NoScript I use with Mozilla Firefox and also disabled AVG Safe Search 9 just to see the difference. Maybe a bit faster now. I still look suspiciously at the AVG Link Scanner. Seems to be my favorite target at the moment. But I could be wrong.

Thinking seriously of uninstalling AVG9 Free and trying Avast Free. Slow speed of loading websites has taken place since upgrading both AVG Free v8.5 and Zone Alarm Free.

Maybe both programs are getting even with me for years of using them for free...

Must be a special place in heaven for those of us who use computers....

Orchidman16

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158451 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 9:10 PM
Orchidman16,

I also used several versions of AVG over the past 5 years or so. The time it took to perform a complete scan of both my internal HDD's had slowed from 35 minutes to maybe 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Sure there were more files to scan but surely the program was becoming bloated with "features". Avast scans the same drives in about a third of the time. And other then the notification when it has updated the virus database, you never know it's running. That is until it catches something trying to sneak by. I have been very impressed and satisfied so far.

Did I mention Avast has 7 "On Access" scanner modules to protect different portions of your system? Separate shields for instant messaging, Internet mail, network, Outlook/Exchange and the web. These select resident scanners may be one of the reasons the program runs so fast. Only running modules when needed may save system resources. But I'm only guessing.

The one thing I haven't found is the ability to schedule routine scans. So you either must run whole system scans manually or use the task manager to automate these scans where AVG included this feature within the program.

Kurt

Author: branmin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158453 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 11:47 PM
Interesting thread..............AVG 8.5 takes about 90 mins to scan everything on my machine. I have it programmed once a week on Sunday at 11.pm and usually so tired waiting for it to finish(I turn my puter off at night) that I shut AVG down before it finishes and when I had it scanning another time, it just slowed everything down.............so am interested to know how many here prefer Avast to AVG or not, as the case might be............don't know how to run a poll, perhaps someone could do this?

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158454 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/19/2009 11:59 PM
don't know how to run a poll,

Ooh, ooh, I can answer something on this board, LOL!

Down by the bottom left of the posting area, there are 4 choices to click: Post New, Post Reply, Reply Later and (ta-da) Create Poll. Below that is a printer icon, and below that icon is Unthreaded, Threaded, Whole Thread and Ignore Thread. Click on "Create Poll" and just fill in the blanks. Howzat?

;^D

~~ Alison

Author: orchidman16 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158457 of 189506
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials versus AVG Fre Date: 10/20/2009 1:54 AM
Sure there were more files to scan but surely the program was becoming bloated with "features". Avast scans the same drives in about a third of the time.
Kurt
==================================

A question on installing Avast Free if I may.

Will the installation of Avast Free require that I uninstall (or disable) my firewall which is ZA Free.

I know some programs prefer no active firewall while they are being installed. Better to know in advance.

Gracias. Thank You. Merci.Toda. Domo Arigato.

Orchidman16

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement