Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nativity Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157014  
Subject: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 11:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
(Or possibly Microsoft to lay off 17% of their employees. I never remember which way it is you American's insist on saying it.)

Mark January 15 in your calendar: Rumors of layoffs at Microsoft peg that as the day the bad news will come.

The latest to report on the possibility of layoffs at the software giant is the blog Fudzilla, which puts the number of job cuts at 15,000, or nearly 17 percent of Microsoft's worldwide operations. The January 15 date is a week before Microsoft's second-quarter earnings report, scheduled for January 22.

Microsoft also has a briefing for financial analysts planned for January 8 at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, with the headliner listed as Robbie Bach, president of the entertainment and devices division.

Those purported layoff numbers are up from earlier rumors, which suggested that 10 percent of the company's employees would lose their jobs.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10130165-75.html

How much longer before GeorgeFifth's $15 target is hit?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152860 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 2:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
(Or possibly Microsoft to lay off 17% of their employees. I never remember which way it is you American's insist on saying it.)

Well, really, neither. We usually use the singular, which would make it "its employees" and not "it's employees" :)

dsbrady

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152861 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 3:36 PM
Nativity,

Grammatically, neither "it's" (contraction of "it is") nor "their" (plural) would be proper in this context. The correct usage would be the singular neuter posessive pronoun "its" since Microsoft is one corporation. Note that posessive pronouns (my, your, his, her, its, our, and their) do not contain apostrophes in the English language even though posessive nouns (Jim's, the cat's, etc.) do.

Norm.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152862 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 4:12 PM
Only heah could the huge prospect of MS's 1st EVER layoff be turned into a grammah debate (and that's how we'd say that in Beantown ;-)

BTW - Lets hope they at least start the layoffs with the latest egg on face Zune SQE department, maybe then take a few swipes at the Xbox360 quality/engineering management roster who apparently froze season after season Andromeda Strain style when reviewing red light of death & media scratch quality issues, then maybe trim the fat from the ineffectual Vista project/planning management team, and perhaps end the 1st round with sending the Marketing & Ad department who hired has-been Gerry Seinfeld.
Happy New Year,
B

Author: nativity Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152863 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 6:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
It's a bizarre state of affairs when my superfluous use of an apostrophe earns more posts on this board than the news that Microsoft are(is) cutting 17% of its workforce.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152864 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 7:59 PM
"It's a bizarre state of affairs when my superfluous use of an apostrophe earns more posts on this board than the news that Microsoft are(is) cutting 17% of its workforce. " <snip>

Again it's exactly what one one would expect here
(this time without a Boston accent cryptokey ;-)

My bet is that those of us left here as regulars, generally being more cynical than not of MS business & inefficiency, aren't surprised or ready to doubt MS labor costs heavy are we? This adjustment may be long overdue (by 8-10 years). I just hope they don't do the foolish fire & rehire as consultants rash kind of adjusting that happens far to often at ginormous fat companies.
B

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152865 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/5/2009 9:48 PM
Let's not forget the latest hype, errrrr, press releases.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINN054007862009...
"SAN FRANCISCO, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) sold 28 million units worldwide of its Xbox 360 video game console through the end of 2008, expanding the Xbox's lead over rival Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 console in worldwide unit sales, the company said on Monday.

Xbox 360 product management director Aaron Greenberg said 2008 "was our biggest year ever in Xbox history" despite a sluggish global economy that's battered U.S. retailers this past holiday season."

Note the $199 price point was a Huge draw. Nothing about those nasty business details about profits, margins or the like.

And search is a huge, errr, loss, once again.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bD39...

"Google Inc. continued to take a larger share of the U.S. Internet search market in November, according to data published Monday by Nielsen Online. Google's (GOOG:
28.05, +6.73, +2.1%) share of the market rose 21.7% compared to the period a year earlier to 64.1% in November, according the data. Yahoo Inc.'s (YHOO:
.86, +0.01, +0.1%) share meanwhile fell 1.4% to 16.1%, while Microsoft Corp.'s share fell 16.7% to 9.1%, Nielsen Online said. Microsoft (MSFT:

20.52, +0.19, +0.9%) last year attempted to acquire Yahoo in a bid to counter Google's dominance of the online search advertising market. "

So if you combine Yahoo and MS, you have a bigger loser. Pretty typical.

Author: celticspirit One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152869 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/6/2009 8:56 AM
My bet is that those of us left here as regulars, generally being more cynical than not of MS business & inefficiency, aren't surprised or ready to doubt MS labor costs heavy are we?

One benefit of this bear market - I was getting a bit fed up with the postings on various sites that read every piece of information as fantastic news for their favoured investment. Have a read back over boards for Crocs or Garmin for example. It doesn't matter how efficient a business is, staffing levels will always be higher if you are planning for strong growth as opposed to flat growth. An element is planning for the work demands for the future, the other part is businesses turn a blind eye to inefficiencies when the money is rolling in. This downturn is a great opportunity for all well run businesses to reexamine their business strategy. To finally pull the plug on products and services that will never make it and to improve efficiencies on the winners. How they do it of course will be key - sadly history suggests most over do it and indeed do end up rehiring not long after.

CS

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152870 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/6/2009 10:52 AM
nativity,

It's a bizarre state of affairs when my superfluous use of an apostrophe earns more posts on this board than the news that Microsoft are(is) cutting 17% of its workforce.

Well, you did ask about grammatically proper usage in the OP....

Norm.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152871 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/6/2009 12:05 PM
"Well, you did ask about grammatically proper usage in the OP...."

Well, no...he didn't really ask. He made a statement and offered both colloquial forms for rhetorical sake & likely was usual UK/US contrast dry humor. There was no special plea for edits of possesive punctuation either. Likewise every smart-a&& Dave Berry column isn't an invitation for answers or corrections.
B
(Demonstrating he will be as pedantic, silly, and smart-a&& as his peers ;-)

Author: DocHathaway Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152873 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/6/2009 2:56 PM
<It's a bizarre state of affairs when my superfluous use of an apostrophe earns more posts on this board than the news that Microsoft are(is) cutting 17% of its workforce. >

:-) Yes, it is, Nativity. However, I read a lot of British spy novels (Len Deighton is my favorite), and I am very used to the singular/plural differences to the point I slip into "Brit Mode" and mix up the proper American use at times. It doesn't bother me.

Of course, bouncing back and forth between OS and UNIX also causes me to slip up and use the wrong commands.

I guess I just forget the details and try too much to get to the big picture.

Author: BottomTroller Two stars, 250 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152875 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/6/2009 11:55 PM
Had no idea MSFT only had 91,000 employees. IBM apparently has 386,000.

Author: KodiakBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152876 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/7/2009 3:05 AM
"How much longer before GeorgeFifth's $15 target is hit?"

Less than 18 months.

KB

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152911 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/10/2009 2:43 PM
Philipo says

Well, no...he didn't really ask. He made a statement and offered both colloquial forms for rhetorical sake & likely was usual UK/US contrast dry humor. There was no special plea for edits of possesive punctuation either. Likewise every smart-a&& Dave Berry column isn't an invitation for answers or corrections.
B
(Demonstrating he will be as pedantic, silly, and smart-a&& as his peers ;-)

Actually, pilgrim, that's Dave Barry ;^)

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152913 of 157014
Subject: Re: Microsoft to lay off 17% of it's employees. Date: 1/10/2009 3:39 PM
"Actually, pilgrim, that's Dave Barry ;^)"

You're late but that's the one, cowpoke ;-P
(my neighbor is Dave Berry - and not as funny)
B

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement