UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Garbagecop Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7258  
Subject: Re: How to evaluate participation in a club Date: 10/8/2000 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Mike, I had to smile when I started reading your post. Halfway through, I was shaking my head. Depending on your personality and tolorence level, you're about 6 months behind me. I could have been reading my own story. Mine ended by resigning two months ago.

I, too, was the treasurer of my club--along with wearing many other hats. I, too, put in 10 times more time every month. And I, too, put together a fabulous website which no one used. Hell, I didn't even get a thank-you for the 200 hours of time it took me to learn html and develop the site.

I, too, questioned whether I was asking too much of my members--and allowed them to "let me" do all the work and feel guilty for it. This story is all too familiar.

Your club developed requirements for membership. They obviously agreed to these requirements, or they wouldn't have joined the club. So, you are not expecting more out of them than they originally committed to. What you "are" doing, is giving them permission to NOT honor their commitments.

I started my club 5 years ago. We had a small but close group of 5 that did a good job of pulling their weight. When we added to our group (doubling it this past year)the incoming personalities actually changed the group's dynamic.

I can see now that we didn't have a well-structured mentoring program for incoming members. Because they didn't know what to do, they didn't do anything. This had an effect on the current members and the work ethic started to decline all the way around. I worked like a dog to get the new members up to speed, but it was like talking to a wall--especially when my emails went unanswered, and my offers of individualized help went unaccepted.

I have seen New Member Packets from model clubs (those few "perfect" clubs out there) that seem absolutely treacherous. They make their potential members sit in for 4 months, learn the club tools (like the SSG) and provide a completed stock study to be used as their final test to get voted in. I've heard that 8 out of 10 potential members don't make it through the process because they are overwhelmed by what is expected of them. The theory goes, if they aren't willing to do the work to get into the club, they certainly aren't going to do it afterwards. In turn, those that survived the process were more likely to pull their weight.

So, Mike, are you really looking for an evaluation set in stone to gauge or test your members' participation? Or are you looking for ammunition against the ones who aren't pulling their weight? Because I can tell you from experience, it won't matter.

You know who is and is not participating. So do the other members, and so do the laggards. And if your club hasn't been holding members accountable for their lack of participation, if you aren't adhering to your by-laws, then they know the rules don't count.

Can you get it turned around? I sure hope so. And I would love to know how, because I couldn't change this dynamic, once it started. Eventually, I found it affected my own desire to get the work done, so I chose to leave.

I think the best you can hope for is to gather the members who are truly interested in pulling their weight, and put pressure on those who don't. But that would require a joint consensus, and probably result in asking for the resignation of several club members.

In my situation, there were others who agreed that we needed to take action, but none who were strong enough to take such a hard line to turn the club around.

The point of my story is, you are not alone. This problem is very common. Personally, I hope you find that magic solution, because I sure couldn't. In the end, I had to save myself.

If you need some moral support, feel free to write me privately. And please share any solutions you may find. I'm sure it would benefit many of us on this board.

Good Luck,
Lynn Ostrem
garbagecop@foxinternet.net
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Starting a Club
Learn how to start and run your own club, the Motley Fool way!
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement