UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SmartConsumer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308883  
Subject: Re: Bankruptcy- unfoolish way out Date: 5/13/1998 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Mike: once again I agree with your response to ChicagoBob and just wanted to add a few more comments.

The ABI study that I mentioned in my last post (and ChicagoBob was kind enough to slog through) also mentions the reasons people file for bankruptcy:
"For consumer bankruptcy, three primary causes were each cited by two-thirds of the respondents. They were the ease of obtaining personal credit and credit cards, loss of a job, and financial mismanagement. Two additional reasons -- medical problems and marital/family problems -- were each endorsed by 57 percent of the respondents. However, the reported causes of consumer bankruptcy did vary by type of district. In rural districts, job loss, litigation/legal action, and disaster/catastrophic event were relatively less likely to be cited. In mixed districts, medical problems and marital/family problems were relatively more likely to be cited. In contrast, medical problems and marital/family problems were relatively less likely to be cited in the ten largest cities, but job loss, litigation/legal action, business/employer failure, and disaster/catastrophic event were relatively more likely to be cited.
Interestingly, there was no statistically significant difference among these types of districts with respect to either financial mismanagement or the ease of obtaining personal credit and credit cards."

Gee, who would have thought that financial mismanagement and the ease of obtaining personal credit and credit cards was pervasive everywhere? :-) The ABI also has a chart that shows how the increase in consumer debt is directly tied to the increase in bankruptcy filings. For those of you visually oriented: http://www.abiworld.org/stats/mediagraph.html

The ABI report does state (as ChicagoBob pointed out): "However, abuse does not appear to be the type of systemic problem justifying the wholesale revision of bankruptcy law.", but the previous sentence also states: "Thus, it appears that abuse is a problem that needs to be addressed and that some aspects of the problem need to be addressed by local initiatives, rather than by federal legislation."

In conclusion, I just wanted to state that I think the expanding consumer debt and increasing bankruptcy filings are a serious problem that need to be addressed (though the proposed legislation is probably not the way to do it). Bankruptcy is no longer only a personal problem that affects only the debtor (and it is a BIG negative), but an expanding problem that is having an effect on all of us.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement