Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Mike, what if you added solar panels, the kind which rotate with the sun? And how about throwing in a couple of Tesla Batteries? Would you think you'd could run the whole house of that?

Of course I "could" run the whole house on solar...but at what cost.
I currently generate as much as I use in a year.
To go off the grid, without sacrificing power and heat during the winter, this is my guess as to what I'd need.

Today it was a bit cloudy and I generated ~3.5 kwh, but used about 12 kwh.
I didn't charge my cars, but tomorrow I will need at least 10 kwh extra for that.
I don't think tracking the sun makes sense...probably cheaper to just install more panels facing east and south. Doubtful my roof will support the weight of a tracking panel system.

To survive a worst case week or two in December with very little sunlight I'd probably need 5 to 10 times as many panels. (Imagine a week generating just 2 kwh per day and consuming 10 per day...) A Tesla Powerwall is about $6000 for 13.5 kwh. I'd probably need 2 or 3 of these and/or more panels.

So my ~$11K system (before rebates) would now be $70K - $100K. And I've have way too many kwh in the summer with no way to store more than a few days worth. PG&E will buy a limited amount back (at the annual true up time for just 2-3 cents per kwh). Note that I have no A/C and have low usage in summer.

Better would be a system about $30k-$50K plus a small gas generator that I might need to use a little for the worse week or two each year.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement