Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: byrchaos Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2365  
Subject: Re: Investing im Ausland Date: 9/5/2006 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
MindsI,
I've always been a buy and hold type of investor. Of late I have been buying some risky short term investments and taking small profits. I used Citibank for several years, but switched to ING-Diba last December. As a US citizen, I had nightmares with the way Citibank, Germany was doing the 1099 forms. ING-Diba gives me a higher interest rate on my "Extra Konto" cash while I look for stocks to buy. Most of my trades are under 5,000 euro at a time and I use limits so my total costs run between 10 & 11 euro each. ING allows me to pick the market and acutally see what the real time prices are as I place my trades plus they are quicker with reconciliations.
In the states I maintain a full service broker (Stifel), but most of my US colleagues use Scott Trade and appear to be happy with them. Personally I prefer to use the German accounts; I have access to US (and global) stocks I wish to buy / sell and feel more secure with the banking processes the European's use for Internet security. As a US citizen there are restrictions on European funds and some major trading rules against dealing with options. On the other hand, as a US citizen, many of the stocks I can buy outright here are sold at a higher price and held as ADR's in the states.
My neighbor here in Germany prefers Consors and although I have never used them I have seen their advertisements and their prices seem fairly competitive.

V/r,
byrchaos
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement