UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: minimalist living Date: 4/28/2011 9:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
In case you missed the posts on The Zero Waste Home on other boards:

Slide show from Sunset Magazine:

http://www.sunset.com/home/natural-home/zero-waste-home-0111...

Yahoo video of the zero-waste couple:

http://www.homebysunset.com/home_by_sunset/2011/03/yahoo-vid...

Bea Johnson's blog:

http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/

This lifestyle can save serious money as well as greatly reduce waste. Note how few articles of clothing and other items this family owns.

ASIDE
I'm subletting in NYC for 6 months to babysit for my grandson. I am living with minimal belongings quite happily. Of course, I've already had some practice spending summers on our RV, but now I can't wait to sell our 2500 sq ft home and most of the stuff in it. Moving more permanently to NYC will mean we can afford up to half the average apartment price of $1MM. We'll probably be living in a 600-800 sq ft apartment, most likely in Harlem, where my daughter lives (to give a little context, my 250-300 sq ft Harlem tenement walkup is $1400/month plus all utilities). I'm trying to determine which makes more financial sense, buying or renting. Renting something comparable to what we'd buy would mean at least $2500/month. Ouch. (We'd be paying cash, not getting a mortgage so I'm comparing shelling out cash that can no longer generate income versus shelling out rent money...rent that can be raised at every lease renewal. I don't want a mortgage as a retired, middle-class, middle-ageed person.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1395 of 1491
Subject: Re: minimalist living Date: 4/29/2011 12:37 AM
Recommendations: 1
Big difference between Harlem and Lowcountry SC. After visiting the Harlem area a few years ago, I would love to live in that area. Ah, to live in a place with convenient public transporation, giving up my car, and downsizing. Sounds like a dream.

Donna

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1396 of 1491
Subject: Re: minimalist living Date: 4/29/2011 10:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
You don't have to make an immediate decision on buying. Rents will increase, but owning has its own issues. Owning means that you are responsible for repairs, but getting repairs done in an apartment can be a challenge. You are tied to one location, which could be good or bad. It all depends on how good your crystal ball is at predicting the future.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement